Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Sword.

Article about: Hi Chaps. A guy I work with asked me if I could find out anything about this sword that belonged to his Grandfather, who swopped it at the end of the war for his Greatcoat. The blade and sca

Default Japanese Sword.

Hi Chaps.
    A guy I work with asked me if I could find out anything about this sword that belonged to his Grandfather, who swopped it at the end of the war for his Greatcoat.
    The blade and scabbard are matching numbers.
    Would appreciate any information anyone can give, as well as a value.
    Best regards
    Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword.   Japanese Sword.  

Japanese Sword.   Japanese Sword.  

Japanese Sword.   Japanese Sword.  

Yes, nice post. I'm sure the experts here will tell you what it is. I'm not an expert, but tell your friend the soldiers took their family inherited swords into battle with them, and this one is not al old one, and doesn't appear to have a signed tsuba, so is not among the more valuable. Is there a pin in the handle you can pull out to see the tang, if it is signed?

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately I do not have the sword, and only took pictures, but I can ask when I see him tomorrow.
    Cheers.

?

It is a Japanese type 95 NCO sword do not take it apart. It is a very nice sword just look on ebay for price.

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    It is a Japanese type 95 NCO sword do not take it apart. It is a very nice sword just look on ebay for price.
    The NCO pattern swords are all period machine made and as RH1941 states, not meant to be taken apart as it serves no purpose.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by der alte oberst View Post
    Yes, nice post. I'm sure the experts here will tell you what it is. I'm not an expert, but tell your friend the soldiers took their family inherited swords into battle with them, and this one is not al old one, and doesn't appear to have a signed tsuba, so is not among the more valuable. Is there a pin in the handle you can pull out to see the tang, if it is signed?
    With no disrespect meant, bad advice is usually far worse than no advice.
    BOB

Thank you Bob for correcting me. I had a japanese`sword that had a singlr wooden peg easily removed to slide the handle off. Was that typical? Mine had a signed tang and tsuba.

Quote by der alte oberst View Post
    Thank you Bob for correcting me. I had a japanese`sword that had a singlr wooden peg easily removed to slide the handle off. Was that typical? Mine had a signed tang and tsuba.
    The officer models had a removable bamboo tapered pin, which allowed for the sword to be broken down for maintenance. The NCO swords had no such feature and were intended to never be broken down.
    BOB

?

Hello Mark,

If you have a few minutes read over this linked thread. It will explain more about the sword.

IJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info

Regards,
    Stu

?

Without seeing/knowing more about the blade value is difficult to attach. If the cutting edge is free of nicks and all is tight then perhaps 650-700. If the blade surface is free of rust and discoloration then perhaps a couple hundred more.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast