Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese Sword

Article about: Guys, Here is a sword that I bought, along with a Japanese bayonet, at a house sale yesterday from the cousin of the veteran. There is considerable surface rust on the blade but no heavy pit

Hal
    ?

Default Re: Japanese Sword

Quote by totenkopfDean View Post
    Awesome! looks like you scored! If you're lucky this might 19th century unless the said maker wasnt around then. maybe Bob knows the era of the maker? This would help to date it. Too bad the "jewels" are already taken! LOL! Maybe someone can re-wrap the handle for you. Also, I LOVE the tsuba (hand-gaurd) and the gilded tigers! Thanks for sharing this rough beauty.
    ~Dean
    Hi Dean, Glad you liked the sword. They are getting hard to find even in rough condition. Best, Hal

Hal
    ?

Quote by Alan M View Post
    A very nice sword Hal , Is there any chance of some close ups of the blade please ?
    Hi Alan, Here are the pictures of the blade.... not much to look at except rust. Best, Hal PS; Let me know if you need any additional pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword   Japanese Sword  

Japanese Sword   Japanese Sword  

Japanese Sword   Japanese Sword  

?

Hi Hal , thanks for the extra photos . Are you thinking of doing anything with the blade to try and stem the deteriation ?
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Hal
    ?

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Hi Hal , thanks for the extra photos . Are you thinking of doing anything with the blade to try and stem the deteriation ?
    Hi Alan, A light coat of oil is the only thing I can think of to prevent further damage. Best, Hal

?

Hi Hal, I'm not sure what you paid . But this blade might be worth a new polish if it has not been in a fire or damaged The saya is post Edo .Tsuba looks Goto late Edo unfortunately in bad condition. But with a cloth and Clove oil this may come up OK and the rust maybe lifted .The Seppa has left corrosion marks which means it hasn't been separated for a while that's a good sign of age .Fittings are all around the end of the Edo period and matching to.Very nice restore project as long as the blade meets Japanese criteria for evaluation.Mei , I will not go into this here ,as I am not confident to comment without seeing it in my hand. Tang looks OK from your picture.
    Cheer's Mark.

Hal
    ?

Quote by Mark View Post
    Hi Hal, I'm not sure what you paid . But this blade might be worth a new polish if it has not been in a fire or damaged The saya is post Edo .Tsuba looks Goto late Edo unfortunately in bad condition. But with a cloth and Clove oil this may come up OK and the rust maybe lifted .The Seppa has left corrosion marks which means it hasn't been separated for a while that's a good sign of age .Fittings are all around the end of the Edo period and matching to.Very nice restore project as long as the blade meets Japanese criteria for evaluation.Mei , I will not go into this here ,as I am not confident to comment without seeing it in my hand. Tang looks OK from your picture.
    Cheer's Mark.
    Hi Mark, Thanks for the data on the blade and fittings. The sword is definitely a restoration project but I think I will leave it as is for now. Thanks again for your help and definitive information. Best, Hal

?

Quote by Hal View Post
    Hi Mark, Thanks for the data on the blade and fittings. The sword is definitely a restoration project but I think I will leave it as is for now. Thanks again for your help and definitive information. Best, Hal
    Hello Hal, I sent your pics onto a friend last night.His view is that its a Revival period blade of the Muromachi style possibly like a shortened Tachi. But ,if you look close at the "Hi" you can see open grain of an earlier sword period . I think its old and worth a further look .The rust in his opinion is form laying somewhere very damp or wet and not fire damaged. The tsuba has gone the same way also.The fittings he is saying are maybe later than EDO if they are brass composite.

Cheer's Mark

The fittings are definitely Edo Period.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thanks Bob, are the fittings showing up as copper or brass on your computer screen.I only have a small older lap top.

Cheer's , Mark

Quote by Mark View Post
    Thanks Bob, are the fittings showing up as copper or brass on your computer screen.I only have a small older lap top.

Cheer's , Mark
    The tsuba is iron base with inlays. The fuchi-gashira are yamagane, an unrefined copper. The menuki are likely also a copper base finished in shakudo.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast