Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Japanese sword (hopefully)

Article about: Hello, I'm from Sweden and it seems impossible to find someone here who is competent in the area of japanese swords. I've only been a "reader" at this forum before, but decided to

MAP
    ?

Will let Bob and others respond about the signatures but for mine, it was at one point a full length sword and the signature was cut off when the sword was shortened
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Will let Bob and others respond about the signatures but for mine, it was at one point a full length sword and the signature was cut off when the sword was shortened
    Map's sword is a different situation as it was a shortened older sword. It may or not been signed previously as many lKoto were not signed. In the case of an ubu Shinto wakizashi that is unsigned, I believe Fredrik has got a handle on what he has and what to do. If he wants a polished blade, money would be better spent on buying one that is already done and possibly with a shinsa paper. Either way, a professional opinion on an unsigned ubu Shinto wakizashi is nothing more than an educated guess.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

It's sad that I won't be able to see the sword in its full glory, but it's too expensive to polish it. I will try to care for the blade and keep it in the best condition possible!

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    ...Either way, a professional opinion on an unsigned ubu Shinto wakizashi is nothing more than an educated guess.
    Exactly what Paul Martin has said. I've had the pleasure to meet him a few times, and he gave a lecture to my students during one Kagami-biraki (first training of the year); after which, he volunteered to give his opinion on our swords (which were, well ..... only good for killing).

Quote by Paul Martin
    However, from a more pragmatic point of view, as the workmanship of blades is subjective, there is no 100% guarantee of a correct attribution to the maker of a blade that is unsigned, or has had the signature removed. The most that can really be gleaned from the blade is the school, or tradition. Any speculation beyond this is purely the appraiser’s opinion. Some opinions are more reliable than others, but unless you were there at the time of the forging of the blade, or the time of the signature removal, it is only an educated guess as to who the maker is. In the Koto period, smiths had many students, and the many students’ work is likely to be similar to the teachers’. It is also estimated that during the Koto era there were at least one or two smiths per village all over Japan, therefore increasing the chances of many unrecorded smiths, and the possibility that blades similar in workmanship to mainline smiths, or of unknown origins were made.

Source

--Guy

I once saw an unsigned katana with three sets of papers. One attributed it to the mid 15th c., the second to the mid 16th c and the third to the mid 19th c. Papers #1 & #3 were issued by the same group. Even the exerts make mistakes. One evening when I was a guest at the home of Yoshikawa Kentaro sensei, he produced an old oshigata book from the late 18th c. showing the rubbing of an early 12 c. tachi signed with a two character signature. He then produced the same blade with no signature. It seems that at the beginning of the 20th c., a sword expert deemed the mei fake and had it pounded out. The sad thing is it was a mistake and the mei was genuine.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2