Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese sword ID

Article about: Hi my old mate has tried for years to give back this sword to its rightfull owners if possible, but nobody ca understand this writing. Any help would be great. Thank you Mark

Default Japanese sword ID

Hi my old mate has tried for years to give back this sword to its rightfull owners if possible, but nobody ca understand this writing.

Any help would be great.

Thank you
    MarkJapanese sword IDJapanese sword ID

Mark,

The writing is going to be the swordsmith who made it, not the soldier who carried it. You'd need a surrender tag for that information. Many gunto were picked up from battlefields so they wouldn't come with ownership info.

This blade looks quite old, could you post pictures of the rest of the blade, including a closeup of the tip?

?

You posted the tang in the correct orientation for it to be read.
    You should get an answer soon.
    Be patient.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Default Thanks for replying

This is the best pictures I have at the moment, but will try and get some more.
    Thanks for your reply.Japanese sword IDJapanese sword ID

I've righted the larger one too. Whoo, pretty rusty! So the rust on the nakago might not all be age. Hopefully the nihonto experts will chime in. But, closer and clearer pics will help when available.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese sword ID  

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    I've righted the larger one too. Whoo, pretty rusty! So the rust on the nakago might not all be age. Hopefully the nihonto experts will chime in. But, closer and clearer pics will help when available.
    Nah, already tried but too faint to read. Perhaps the owner can dust the tang with talcum powder to bring out the engravings?

I will ask him

Default Amahide

When I first saw this post last week I could make out only what was either a 大 [dai] or 天 [ama/ten]. Today I just translated another sword with 天秀 [Amahide] and thought I saw the same sword earlier; it wasn't the same sword I had recalled, but this post with the same signature!!

Your friend's sword was made by Amahide 天秀. The first kanji is or .... which throws me.

HEY!!! I just found one very similar. The top kanji means it was made for SuzukiShoun. Much more info about the smith on that blog.

Your friend's sword has probably the exact signature:
    鈴木照雲師應需天秀謹而作之
    Suzuki Shoun Shi Ouja Amahide Kin* Saku Kore [wo]
    Responding to Teacher/Mentor Suzuki Shoun's Request, Amahide Respectfully Made This

This [sword] Was Respectfully/Carefully Made by Amahide In Response to a Request Placed by Dr. [hon.] Suzuki Shoun

I'm over-interpreting 師 by using the English word "doctor" meaning "teacher" -- that's what the Latin origin means: teacher.
    Also, names ending in 雲 Un [cloud] are generally a Buddhist teacher's name; so Mr. Suzuki might have been a lay-priest, retired priest, or somehow came by a Buddhist name.

Cheers,
    --Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese sword ID  

Thank you very much Guy, very interesting I will read the other post after work.

Much appreciated