Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Japanese sword !! is this a legit sword?

Article about: I just got this on auction not for much which is scary. The previous owner stained the hand wrap red and took it off. I just need some thoughts. I don't have the sword yet but the link I do,

Yep, tha is what happens. Years ago, my brother-in-law, who is a politician in Kyushu, offered me a Seki stamped blade in IJA mounts. Everything was like the day made. However, I had no way to get it out of Japan so as far as I know, he still has it.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by MrPotts View Post
    Does it kill more value since this part is messed up? Thanks for the encouragement though, I would have to at this rate
    Depends upon who is buying. Some guys are buying the blade, and don't care about koshirae. Some guys want a nice representative of the style, so would appreciate a professionally repaired tsuka. There's enough of each type out there, so I would follow your gut and do what YOU would appreciate, and when selling, find the buyer who thinks like you do!

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    I stumbled across this photo on a Japanese website Made me think of Stu and Guys warning Definitely good advice!!
    Geoff, can you post the site's URL? I tried to do a Google Image search using that image .... but no luck.

Thanks,
    --Guy

Quote by MrPotts View Post
    Does it kill more value since this part is messed up? Thanks for the encouragement though, I would have to at this rate
    I would restore the tsuka and have new ito as it will be more presentable than it presently is. Restoration is not frowned upon in Japanese swords as is other areas of collecting.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for your comment, I Will definitely get it fixed and post it. I did not relive that restoration on japanese swords is not.frowned upon, that is good news for me. I'll get this sword back to health and.ill post it.

Hello Guy,I believe this is the URL if its the same one posted by BOUGAINVILLE called "Interesting Internet Site" ???????????? I got lost in there!!! so I cant say exactly where in the site it was But there is enough stuff to keep you tied up for hours!! Regards,Geoff

?

Swordsmith not mentioned in the text so unable to find it by searching.
    兼景 Kanekage.
    昭和十八年七月 1943 July.

From the Register of Names of Seki Forge Swordsmiths Since Showa 14, October (1939)
    兼景 熊沢良市 S18.12.30
    Swordsmith name: Kanekage
    Legal name: Kumazawa Ryōichi
    Date entered the Seki Guild Log: Showa 18 [1943] December 30

Sesko has a slightly different reading of the given name:

From Markus Sesko's Japanese Swordsmiths:
    KANEKAGE (兼景), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanekage” (兼景), real name Kumasawa Ryōhei (熊沢良平), born November 1st 1918, he worked as a guntō smith.

Cheers,
    -- Guy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4