Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese tropical helmet

Article about: I have a large collection of Japanese pith helmets. This is one of the hardest variations to find. Has both top vent as well as side vents. Never seen or heard of leather used in pith helmet

?

Default Japanese tropical helmet

Very happy this week, my newly won early pattern Japanese tropical sun helmet arrived. I got it in an online auction for the princely sum of $50, way below the price I was prepared to pay.

The wicker has collapsed slightly around the rim but apart form that it is in great condition. Dated 1940. Other examples I have seen have a brown leather liner, but this is the canvas pattern similar to the later model sun helmet.
    A nice addition to my small but growing IJA headgear group.

Japanese tropical helmet

Japanese tropical helmet

Japanese tropical helmet

Japanese tropical helmet

Following this I decided to bid on some tunics which were in the same auction and picked up 3 different types. I'll post them once the weather improves so I can take pictures in natural light.
    Steve.

sounds like you picked up a few bargains.

$50 wow!....

?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    sounds like you picked up a few bargains.
    Thanks, I stumbled across it listed in a Holywood memorabilia auction for some reason so I think that's it went so cheap. Interestingly it all came with a "Certificate of Authenticity" which the description is not quite accurate...

?

That is a very good find friend.

The name looks like Nakazaki Shinji, a member of "I" Group. I do not know what the "Wall 51" means (or even if I've translated that correctly).

垣五一
    Kaki [Wall] 51

イ隊
    I-Tai

中崎 新次
    Nakazaki Shinji

--Guy

?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    The name looks like Nakazaki Shinji, a member of "I" Group. I do not know what the "Wall 51" means (or even if I've translated that correctly).

垣五一
    Kaki [Wall] 51

イ隊
    I-Tai

中崎 新次
    Nakazaki Shinji

--Guy
    Thanks Guy.

Is this a white helmet? Looks whitish in the shots. Col. Saito wore one with a gold metal star in David Lean's epic "Bridge on the River Kwai". I owned a very white one that had a rayon bevo weave type star on it. These helmets are incredibly light weight. Nice score!

?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post

垣五一
    Kaki [Wall] 51

イ隊
    I-Tai

中崎 新次
    Nakazaki Shinji

--Guy

Hi Guy,

I have a dog tag from the 16th Infantry Division and their call sign was the Wall (Kaki) Division.

Regards,
    Stu

Cool, Stu! Thanks.

--Guy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast