Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Type 99 Special Naval Training Rifle

Article about: Hello all, I thought I'd share the Japanese Type 99 Special Naval Training Rifle I just acquired. There is kanji pressed into the buttstock which may relate to a specific school and more pai

Default Japanese Type 99 Special Naval Training Rifle

Hello all, I thought I'd share the Japanese Type 99 Special Naval Training Rifle I just acquired. There is kanji pressed into the buttstock which may relate to a specific school and more painted near the bayonet lug which I assume is a rack number or something along that line. Naval acceptance anchor and mum on the top of the receiver and only two parts are serial numbered, the receiver and bolt, both ending in 45. This is the first "special" rifle I have come across. Very interesting that all the metal is cast iron except the bolt which is steel. Thanks for looking and any comments are welcome. Mike
    Japanese Type 99 Special Naval Training RifleJapanese Type 99 Special Naval Training RifleJapanese Type 99 Special Naval Training RifleJapanese Type 99 Special Naval Training RifleJapanese Type 99 Special Naval Training RifleJapanese Type 99 Special Naval Training RifleJapanese Type 99 Special Naval Training Rifle

?

Very nice condition navy 99 trainer. Components of this trainer were used in the production of the naval special rifles. It is not a navy special rifle.

Quote by Jareth View Post
    It is not a navy special rifle.
    +1 Agree with the above statement. Don't want to call it what it isn't and spread fake news...

Nice condition trainer.
    John

(教)
    Kyō
    Teach/Instruct

Within the box:
    "Live rounds are strictly forbidden"

I've seen this before, but cannot find my old translation ... and am too lazy to try to read the kanji. But that's what it says.

On the forearm underside:

小坪予 六
    Kotsubo 6
    I have **no** clue as how to decypher that!!

Literally it means:
    • Small.
    • Tsubo. Unit of measure = 35.5 ft.sq.
    • Yō; possibly a contraction of 予習 (preparation for study) or some other kanji compound beginning with 予 such as 予備役 First Reserve
    • Roku. 6

Hopefully Nick can clean up my mess.

-- Guy

Kotsubo is a coastal township in Kanagawa Prefecture, where the Navy had hilltop coast gun emplacements.

Thank you all for the reply's and the translation is fantastic. I apologize for calling it a "special", I was under the assumption that all cast iron rifles bore that label. I appreciate everyone taking the time to look. Mike

No problem Mike. Hey thanks for posting the pics - you have a good looking and interestingly marked trainer! We all benefited here from the inputs