Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Wakizashi

Article about: Tomorrow, I am going to look at, what I believe to be a pre-WWII Japanese Wakizashi. It seems to have a "signature" and legitimate patina. I have never owned a sword, and seek opin

Default Japanese Wakizashi

Tomorrow, I am going to look at, what I believe to be a pre-WWII Japanese Wakizashi. It seems to have a "signature" and legitimate patina. I have never owned a sword, and seek opinions on its authenticity, age, and a possible range of what I should be looking to pay. I know these swords are heavily faked, and can range between 1600s-1940s. Thanks in advance.
    Japanese WakizashiJapanese WakizashiJapanese Wakizashi

More
    Japanese Wakizashi
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Wakizashi   Japanese Wakizashi  

Last edited by AmericanKraut; 09-29-2016 at 03:10 AM.

P;ease repost the nakago as it is very difficult to read kanji that are posted sideways and not clear! The proper way to show the nakago is with the tip end up. If you can highlight the kanji or get a crisp image it would be appreciated. From the images, the piece appears to be an authentic Japanese sword. Pictures of the mounting will also help.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

The sword is not in my hands, photos are from the seller. I will get some better quality tomorrow. Thank you for the quick response.

I look forward to seeing your pictures once you get it in hand.
    BOB

The swordsmith signature is Kunimasa,not Hiromasa. There are approximately 40 swordsmiths who used this name. I am having a problem with reading the era name and will try looking it up through magnification. I can tell you it is definitely not Eisho.
    BOB

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The swordsmith signature is Kunimasa,not Hiromasa. There are approximately 40 swordsmiths who used this name. I am having a problem with reading the era name and will try looking it up through magnification. I can tell you it is definitely not Eisho.
    Bob's correct: Kunimasa

国正
    Kunimasa

延徳元年二月日

Entoku Gan'nen Ni-gatsu Jitsu
    A lucky day in 1489

--Guy

I thank Guy for the help with the date. I have been unable to find a smith who worked in that era or close to it. However, there were several earlier Kunimasa who were of the Uda group, a branch of the Yamato School. The shinogi appears to be a little high for Uda work. However, that also could be from excessive polish. For a positive identification ande confirmation of the mei, which I believe is genuine, the blade needs to be studied in hand by an advanced collector or submitted to shinsa. At this point, the NBTHK is having it's last shinsa for a good year in November due to the construction of a new museum building and it is too late to get the blade in to Japan and cleared in time for that shinsa.
    BOB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast