Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese Wakizashi- but from when? I would appreciate some input please

Article about: Afternoon guys When you get bitten, you get bitten. A few weeks ago I got hold of a few Japanese swords. Not knowing what I had I posted here for some opinions, and was stunned at the amount

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Hello John,

Please show us the full sword blade.

--Guy
    Thanks Guy
    Will do tomorrow pm (UK time )

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Guy, typo - Tenpo "1" is really "10", right? your math comes out right, though!
    It reads Tenpo ju san nen or the 13th year of Tenpo as Guy wrote.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Guy, typo - Tenpo "1" is really "10", right? your math comes out right, though!
    ????
    Bruce, I don't understand what you are saying about "Tenpo 1". I wrote Tenpo 13 which is what is on the nakago 天保十三年二月日
    Tenpo 13 Year 2 Month, a Day

What am I missing????

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    ????
    Bruce, I don't understand what you are saying about "Tenpo 1". I wrote Tenpo 13 which is what is on the nakago 天保十三年二月日
    Tenpo 13 Year 2 Month, a Day

What am I missing????

--Guy
    LOL! I'm sorry! Your first post had a space between the one and three like: 1 3 instead of 13. I thought you just left the zero off and we're trying to type "10 3".

Thanks for all of your comments so far gentlemen, I am truly astounded at the level of knowledge you folks have, and all I can say is that I am in awe

I have taken a couple more pictures of the blade and scabbard only, in the hope this will clarify what date it is............... and if it was worth the $550 I spent on it

Just to clarify this is ONE blade, signed on both sides

As always I am in your debt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Wakizashi- but from when? I would appreciate some input please   Japanese Wakizashi- but from when? I would appreciate some input please  

Japanese Wakizashi- but from when? I would appreciate some input please   Japanese Wakizashi- but from when? I would appreciate some input please  

Japanese Wakizashi- but from when? I would appreciate some input please   Japanese Wakizashi- but from when? I would appreciate some input please  

Japanese Wakizashi- but from when? I would appreciate some input please  

?

You have done well for $550 IMO. . I would also get the finger prints off the blade and oil it with Choji Oil , have a peruse on the net , you can obtain cleaning kits from there , that will do the job .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

John-
    I am looking forward to seeing your new pictures. This reminds me of an incident that occurred at the 2nd Max in St. Louis. A friend had a Sukenaga katana in military mounts. There was a very nerdy Japanese history professor who used to go through a show looking at every blade and never bought anything. He was going to remove the tsuka to look at the mei. Holding the tsuka in his left hand, he proceeded to pound down with his right fist on the fist of his left hand. However, he led the sword in revers with the cutting edge toward him. He actually ran his right hand down the cutting edge of the blade and cut his right palm deeply from one end to the other. One must always respect these blades which the fellow forgot. That was the worst cut I ever saw on a blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    John-
    I am looking forward to seeing your new pictures.
    I just posted them Bob? Are they not what you needed to see? I'm confused now as I thought it was the blade only that you wanted extra photos of😳

Quote by Alan M View Post
    You have done well for $550 IMO. . I would also get the finger prints off the blade and oil it with Choji Oil , have a peruse on the net , you can obtain cleaning kits from there , that will do the job .
    already done that Alan.... I took the photos as soon as I got it home and took it apart, before I put it all back again, it was cleaned with some spirit

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    I just posted them Bob? Are they not what you needed to see? I'm confused now as I thought it was the blade only that you wanted extra photos of😳
    John, Bob is looking for an overall photo of the blade, not just sections. It helps determine the shape/school/etc.

--Guy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast