Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese WW2 Flag

Article about: Hey Guys, Annoyed from this ads?   Can someone help me with this flag? Here is what the seller told me: "This flag was captured in the Philippines near the end of the war. The cool

Default Japanese WW2 Flag

Hey Guys,

Can someone help me with this flag?
    Here is what the seller told me:

"This flag was captured in the Philippines near the end of the war. The cool thing is that the soldier this was taken from was a hold out for over 2 months"

Thank you!

Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese WW2 Flag   Japanese WW2 Flag  

Japanese WW2 Flag   Japanese WW2 Flag  

?

This looks like a Seabee made flag to me. Please wait for other opinions.

Self-made flag?

Alex

?

The U.S. soldiers use to make them at the end of the war. Souvenirs I call them. Usually you see the red color running on them.

As I said, please wait for more opinions on this item.

Here are some examples posted on the forum.

Japanese WW2 FlagJapanese WW2 Flag

Not an expert by any means but that was my first thought as well... I posted the one above on the right, which was also confirmed as a "seabee special". Will be interesting to hear what others have to say---

Rod
    ?

Knowing the size might help. Seebee flags tend to measure in 20" to 26" range while on Japanese personal flags the short side is often in the 28" range and the long side up to 38" or 40". Not hard and fast but one general indicator.

This one looks like it was folded while the paint was still wet. It appears period, most probably a seebee special. The construction, painted sun aside, is nicer than usual... tie strings, reinforced corners.

Regards, Rod

?

Quote by Luxembourg View Post
    Self-made flag?

Alex
    Hello Alex,

The Seabees (Seabee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) were famous for making fake flags to sell/trade to rear echelon troops. Many examples are documented over on WAF.

I like the size of your flag but not what is on it. Regardless, don't pay more for it than you can afford to lose because the chances of ever proving authenticity are nil in my view.

I also ask myself about the absence of any kanji. The hinomaru flags were carried when adorned with well wishes but not so much when without from what I've seen in the past.

I'd pass it by if I were you.

Regards,
    Stu

Thank you for your answers! The seller asks $180 for it.
    I have mixed feelings about it. Why would a GI write the exact time on it when he killed the soldier, but otherwise, someone who fakes a flag would write the capture infos on it but not the time?

Alex

That's way too high for what it is --- I wouldn't speculate too much about the inscription (why this and that), there's a lot better out there for that kind of money either way... this one's most probably a Seabee creation to boot.

leave it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast