Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Japanese WW2 Officer's sword information

Article about: Good evening! I am new to the forum. I collect knives and guns and while on Christmas break, a friend of my mothers offered me a Japanese officer's katana that her grandfather won in a poker

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Can we see more photos of the blade? Marty
    Yup! I will work on the tang tomorrow.. I am nervous to do so though. Would it be smarter to take it to an expert? I live near Washington, D.C. And there are plenty of museums! R/ Dan

Japanese WW2 Officer's sword informationJapanese WW2 Officer's sword informationJapanese WW2 Officer's sword informationJapanese WW2 Officer's sword informationJapanese WW2 Officer's sword information

Hello Dan,
    Taking the handle off will not harm anything as long as you keep track of the pieces that come off and put them back on in the same order.
    You only need to find out which end of the peg is smaller and push or tap it from that end.
    Then, holding the sword firmly with your left hand close to the guard with the tip pointing up, strike down firmly on the top of your left hand with your right hand. As the tang is a wedge shape, this should jar the handle loose and it can be taken off with ease. There are also other methods that can be used but normally this will work. Be as careful as you can to avoid touching the sharp edge of the blade, as well as any other part of the blade. If you do, make sure to wipe any fingerprints off afterwards.
    Ralph.
    Last edited by rbminis; 12-30-2014 at 04:15 AM.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by Stu W View Post
    That's great info Guy. Thank you. I have noticed that the purple eggplant image is often utilized on menuki and periodically depicted on tsuba. Might you know what the reason for that?

Regards,
    Stu
    Errr .... cuz they taste so good? In some areas of Japan, during Obon (kind of like our original "All Souls Evening" when ancestors' ghosts return), an eggplant is made into a symbolic cow by sticking toothpicks for legs. A horse is made of a cucumber. The symbology is that the ancestors should return home quickly as a horse, and go back slowly as a cow.

source with more images

I've also just read (but am not yet certain it is true) the following:
    "...That is what makes this exquisite lacquerware picnic set so special, since it was created by the powerful daimyo and well-known tea man Hosokawa Sansai (1563-1645). The eggplant motif for the sake flask is a auspicious one, as the Japanese word for eggplant, nasu, makes a phonetic allusion to a homophone verb which means "to succeed"...."
    source
    So, I researched the homophones so y'all wouldn't have to!

茄子 nasu, eggplant
    為す nasu, to accomplish/to do

--Guy

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Hello Dan,
    Taking the handle off will not harm anything as long as you keep track of the pieces that come off and put them back on in the same order.
    You only need to find out which end of the peg is smaller and push or tap it from that end.
    Then, holding the sword firmly with your left hand close to the guard with the tip pointing up, strike down firmly on the top of your left hand with your right hand. As the tang is a wedge shape, this should jar the handle loose and it can be taken off with ease. There arte also other methods that can be used but normally this will work. Be as careful as you can to avoid touching the sharp edge of the blade, as well as any other part of the blade. If you do, make sure to wipe any fingerprints off afterwards.
    Ralph.
    Ralph- great info! Thanks. I will give it a go tomorrow!

V/Dan

MAP
    ?

Another useless contribution by me, but love how this is playing out guys!

Watch those fingers Dan!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Hello Dan,
    Then, holding the sword firmly with your left hand close to the guard with the tip pointing up, strike down firmly on the top of your left hand with your right hand. As the tang is a wedge shape, this should jar the handle loose and it can be taken off with ease. There are also other methods that can be used but normally this will work. Be as careful as you can to avoid touching the sharp edge of the blade, as well as any other part of the blade. If you do, make sure to wipe any fingerprints off afterwards.
    Ralph.

Got the peg out (it pretty much dropped out when i pressed on it with my finger). Tried the aforementioned technique but nothing loosened up...any other tricks?? Thanks...I will post pictures as soon as I get the tang exposed so any help is appreciated! V/R

Dan

I have been giving my left hand some decently hard taps with the bottom of my right fist and monitoring when/if i can see the tang cover up the peg hole to no avail... Im fine with beating myself up, but this blade is making me work for it!!! R/Dan

Hello Dan,
    If this does not work, another method would be to wrap the blade near the guard with a rag, (thick one) and put it in a vise. Leave enough room to be able to access the guard near the blade. Be sure not to mark the blade with the vise jaws. You can then use a block of wood against the guard close to the blade and tap gently with a smallish hammer. I would suggest alternating sides, a tap on one side then a tap on the other side. Be sure not to send the handle flying across the room.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

What ever you do be careful but get that darn handle off.... Just kidding..... I have been fortunate not to have a handle stuck.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

You may want to use a rubber mallet to see if it will break it free instead of a hammer if you have one. But be soft. They usually leave no marks.

and as Marty said...let's get that handle off so we can see the final reward :-)

Michael

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast