Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese WWII Body Armor

Article about: Hello all,I am very excited to be able to share my new example of an original "Iron Self Defense Waistcoat" I have seen them only in photographs before now! I know there are differ

Default Japanese WWII Body Armor

Hello all,I am very excited to be able to share my new example of an original "Iron Self Defense Waistcoat" I have seen them only in photographs before now! I know there are different designs and variations but they are very difficult to find so when I found this one I was scrambling to make it happen.This vest is composed of small plates that are riveted in place inside the canvas body.There is also leather reinforcement on the side panels for the lacing that secures the vest at the side.Moisture has caused the plates inside to rust causing the mottled appearance on the fabric,resembling tortoise shell which is interesting.I am looking for photographs of these vests in wear if anyone happens to have any to share.I would love to see some examples. Regards,Geof
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese WWII Body Armor   Japanese WWII Body Armor  

The rear of the vest and inside.the small white pouch contains a small round metal charm which has rusted beyond recognition so I did not attempt to remove it from the pouch.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese WWII Body Armor   Japanese WWII Body Armor  

Japanese WWII Body Armor   Japanese WWII Body Armor  

Leather reinforcements Label and Kanji

Japanese WWII Body Armor   Japanese WWII Body Armor  

I didn't know that there were commercial products like this other than the military ones. Most people only got cloth with "Samuhara" written on it, which was the bulletproof shinto spell, but Yabuki, the owner was more lucky to have practical well wishers. In cases like this, it would be hard to just say, "it's the thought/spell that counts".
    It must have been for an officer from a rich family, as soldiers would not have been allowed to wear something like that and would have gotten badly beaten up. One would have had to wear it without the others noticing.

strange never seen one before. yakuza springs to mind.

Did you also get the Senninbari that came with it?

Yes Nick I did.

?

That is a very nice item friend.
    Thanks for showing.

MAP
    ?

Geoff,

Again you present a top notch item!!! Would be great to see all your items in one or two or three....pictures.

That said, I really wonder how effective this would be. Unless a bullet hit a plate squarely I assume it would mushroom and slide between the individual plates.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very interesting.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast