Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese WWII NCO Gunto - or a fake ?

Article about: I recently got my hands on what I beleive to be an original Japanese WWII NCO Shin-Gunto but other than that, I am pretty lost, japanese swords being very far from my field of expertise, so

Default Japanese WWII Type 95 NCO Gunto - or a fake ?

I recently got my hands on what I beleive to be an original Japanese WWII NCO Shin-Gunto but other than that, I am pretty lost, Japanese swords being very far from my field of expertise, so excuse me if I am not into the correct terminology.

Total length: 92 cm
    Blade length: 67 cm
    Tsuba thickness: 11mm

Blade serial number: 109779
    I have not been able to find any other serial numbers, tsuba, grip or otherwise.

The scabbard is painted brown and pretty rusty underneath.
    There is an insert of wood, now split.
    The scabbard mound - Koiguchi - with the hole for the lock, is missing.

Point.

Lock and tsuba.

Handle: Aluminium, once painted. Ring missing.

Handle: Aluminium, once painted. Ring missing.

The ring - Fuchi - is stamped with what I believe to be the arsenal stamp, inspection stamp and - a chrysantemum ?
    I have not been able to discern any other stamps on any of the parts.

Semegane and ishizuke

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could authenticate - or bust - this sword.
    Last edited by Nicolai; 02-11-2020 at 12:37 AM.

You can gain a lot of knowledge from this pinned thread at the top.
    IJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

The sword looks like a type 95 NCO sword, but in an officers type 98 scabbard. There can be a variety of reasons for this.

?

Daver is correct, the scabbard is for type 98 officer sword

The stamps, left to right, are
    Suya Shoten Co (company that made the sword)
    Tokyo Arsenal Inspector
    Kokura Army Arsenal (oversaw production at both Tokyo and Nagoya Arsenals until 1940)

So, while we cannot know exact dates on NCO blades, this was made no later than 1940.

You can read more about Type 95s here: ?????? An Arsenal trademark and inspection mark

From everything I can see, as someone else previous suggested, this is an original Type 95 NCO sword in a Type 98 officer's sword scabbard. Reasons for this is endless, but Im guessing the owner possibly lost his scabbard and picked up another. Well done on this one!

Thanks for all the info, some of it I was guessing at but there is really nu substitute for human knowledge.

This would explain why I was not able to find an exact match for my sword - every time I found the correct sword, the scabbard was wrong and vice versa. It would also explain the lack of serial numbers on the scabbard, since I don't think officers gunto are supposed to have those, only NCO types.

Taking that into account and the missing pommel-ring, damaged wooden insert in the scabbard and the rust, it is probably not worth much. Still, Ifind it somewhat charming.

Another question though; are NCO Gunto supposed to have fullers like this ? I thought they were more machined, milled and drilled ?
    Also, the serial number is quite high compared to others I have seen ?

?

You are on one of the best sites for research on WW2 Japanese swords, all your questions are answered on it. You now need to search on it. Have fun.

Thanks to the thread by Stu W. (Thanks for that link, Ralph) I have been able to ascertain several things; collecting the thoughts here for the benefit of others and in the hope that someone will correct me should I be completely wrong about something (after all my total knowledge of this subject is a mere 10 hours old so this is quite the info dump).

NCO Gunto Type 95
    Third model, pre 1941 (aluminium tsuka and thin 9 mm brass tsuba).
    Blade: Tokyo First Arsenal (serial number is meant to be read edge-down).
    Made by: Suya Corporation ("harp" stamp on the fuchi).
    Inspected by: Tokyo First Arsenal (letter on the fuchi).
    Administered/produced by: Kokura Arsenal (flower on the fuchi - Kokura apprarently never actually produced these Guntos but administered the process until 1944)

What I don't understand is the total lack of serial numbers on the other parts of the sword; tsuka, tsuba. I thought they were supposed to be stamped with - preferably matching - serial numbers.

You've done some good reading Nicolai! The stamping of numbers on tsuba, seppa, and other metal parts is seen on officer gunto, but not NCO 95's. Officer blades varied enough in size and shape that the other parts had to be customized a bit to fit each one. These parts, once matched to a blade were marked to keep them together. NCO blades were so unform the parts would have fit any blade and it wouldn't matter if they got mixed. What I just said is mostly speculation, but is the general concensus of the community.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast