Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese WWII Rangefinder

Article about: by ghp95134 Next to JLS is either わる [waru] or ねる [neru] -- I can't clearly see the first kana, and I do not know the significance of the kana; possibly acceptanc

?

Default Japanese WWII Rangefinder

Hi Guys,
    I just received this Japanese Rangefinder today. I don’t know much about this item so any information would be fantastic. I would also very much appreciate translation help with the dials and marker stamps.
    It still works just fine. It’s an amazing bit of equipment.
    Does anyone have photos of these being used in the field? I would love to see them.
    Thanks in advance.

All I can say is you have a very nice piece of gear there!

The only thing I'm attempting is the stamping on the body frame. Of course by Nikko, but in Japanese it's full name is Nippon Koki [日本光季]

.....................上下 [jo-ge; Up and Down/vertical] 2°
    12x
    ..................... 左右 [sa-yu; Left and Right/horizontal] 3°

[I had to insert ..... to place the kanji in the right position]

A one-meter 8 power rangefinder had this note in TM-E 30-480:
    Figure 297. One meter base stereoscopic range finder. The reticle of this instrument is graduated from 250 to 6,000 (presumed to be meters). Markings indicate an 8 X magnification, a 4.5° vertical and 5° horizontal field of view.

source
    So your 2° and 3° refer to the field of view.

Next to JLS is either わる [waru] or ねる [neru] -- I can't clearly see the first kana, and I do not know the significance of the kana; possibly acceptance marks????? Sorry.

--Guy

I found a photo of a Soviet anti-aircraft gunners using one similar. Just FYI:

?

Thanks very much ghp95134. Great info !

Oh! This one is Japanese.

Artillery observation/spotter vehicle

source

75 cm Base Range Finder

This instrument is very similar to the 80 cm base range finder, Keuffel and Esser Model 1918. It also resembles the design of the Barr and Stroud instrument. It is, therefore, assumed that it is used much the same as the American 80 cm base, M1914M1 Range Finder. It is a coincidence type range finder with a split field of view, and is used by light field artillery units.

The ocular prism consists of three optical components cemented together resembling the arrangement in the American 1 meter base range finder, M1916. The eyepiece assembly is of the symmetrical type. The halving plate is a thick piece of optical glass with plano parallel surfaces. The measuring wedge and range scale are a single assembly. The latter is illuminated by the light rays entering through the range scale illuminating window, and reflected by a mirror. The objectives, installed as matched pairs are burnished in their cells. The penta prisms and wedge windows resemble those used in American range finders.

An effort has been made, through a bushing in the center of the buffer assemblies, to desiccate the instrument. It is not believed that the eyepiece assemblies can be sufficiently sealed to make this effective.

The tripod is lightly constructed and has no locking device for the legs. The tripod mount permits the range finder to be locked or rotated in azimuth. There is also a leveling device, but no level vial.

SPECIFICATIONS

Base length 75 cm
    Magnification 12 power
    Range 100 to 10,000 yds.
    Field of view Vertical 2°—horizontal 3°
    Weight of range finder 9 lbs.
    Weight of carrying case 6 lbs.

Japanese: p. 180 (March 1, 1945)

source

Default Another photo of the rangefinder in use

source

--Guy

?

Thanks again ghp95134.
    Any translation help with the rest of the dials would be great!!

?

I had no idea these were used on tanks. I just assumed they were handheld or on tripod. Thank you very much, its really interesting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast