MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese WWII Sword Identification

Article about: This short sword is coming up for sale at a local auction this weekend. They also have a Japanese Imperial naval dagger and a NCO sword, I was interiested in those just because I knew more a

Default Japanese WWII Sword Identification

This short sword is coming up for sale at a local auction this weekend. They also have a Japanese Imperial naval dagger and a NCO sword, I was interiested in those just because I knew more about them. I will post pics if later if I am able to get either of them. I was wondering if this sword short is WWII period or not, if so is if a factory made sword? I have my doubts about its authenticity I looked around the web and cound not find any thing with a scabbard like it. Maybe it was made for a child? Also if anyone can help read the makers mark. Thanks for your help, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese WWII Sword Identification   Japanese WWII Sword Identification  

Japanese WWII Sword Identification  
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese WWII Sword Identification  Japanese WWII Sword Identification 
    Last edited by TNcollector; 06-01-2012 at 11:40 PM.

?

Default Re: Japanese WWII Sword Identification

I am not an expert on japanese swords but I don't really like this one. For one I have never seen a scabbard like this one. Also the blade seem to be more modern made but I do like the marking on the handle. I would wait for more information on this.
    Sean F

?

I'm no authority on Japanese swords but to me it appears to be a machine made blade, the makers mark and year look to have been stamped when the metal was hot, as for the scabbard, its pretty elaborate, not one that ive seen before but I'm sure the guys in the know will be along and complete the appraisals

Thanks for replys sean and dave. The scabbard also had me question the sword. Maybe some others will chime in. Thanks, Robert

Japanese sword mountings vary from both time period and area. There are actual schools of mountings. Just because you have not seen it before does not mean it is not genuine. The blade is a genuine wakizashi signed Harumitsu. Multiple swordsmiths used this name so pinning it down to an exact smith is impossible as these pictures are terrible. The signature appears to be genuine as it is signed with confidence. The sword is an older piece and would be worth aquiring if there are no flaws in the blade. A nice genuine wakizashi with the blade likely dating from early to mid 17th century and the mounting 19th ce3ntury.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for the help bob. I am at the auction now. Do you think the scabbards and handle are post WWII? Sorry for the bad pics they were the ones provided by the auction company. Thanks for you help.

Reread my post. The last sentence states the mounts are 19th century. This is a feudal period mounted wakizashi. There is nothing post war about it. I figured the pictures were from the auction house as they failed to show much of what is important in judging a Japanese sword.
    BOB

Thanks bob. I will let you know how I do. Thanks Robert

Thanks for the help. The sword went to high. But I was able to pic up a wwi Luger holster with the take down tool. Cheers, Robert

Can you tell us what it sold for?
    BOB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast