Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Japans NCO shin-gunto, non-commissioned officer, opinions Please Gents!

Article about: This sword is up for sale, what do you Gents think of this mid type sword? It has a Nagoya Arsenal blade the serial number should be read with the cutting edge upward. He also has a nice fla

?

Default Japans NCO shin-gunto, non-commissioned officer, opinions Please Gents!

This sword is up for sale, what do you Gents think of this mid type sword?
    It has a Nagoya Arsenal blade the serial number should be read
    with the cutting edge upward.
    He also has a nice flag that comes with it (92x70 cm)
    What would you consider a good price?
    I Always liked these sword, so may be its time for a buy.
    and help would be appreciated.
    cheers,
    Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 06-18-2013 at 06:58 PM.

?

Default Re: Japans NCO shin-gunto, non-commissioned officer, opinions Please Gents!

Hello Ger,

Both items appear authentic and the scabbard drag shape is correct for a Nagoya sword. However, better photos of what appears to me to be an IJA aluminum tsuka, top latch, iron tsuba Type 95 (version 2A as per Dawson) are needed before I'd venture a value estimate. I'd want those addition pictures to include clear photos of the fuchi stampings as well as a close up of all aspects of the habaki. The habaki appears to have some separation starting on the upper surface. Photos of both sides of the tsuba and seppa taken face on would also assist in my evaluation as would confirmation from the seller that the blade is neither bent or twisted to any visible degree.

Last but not least this link might be of use to you ...

Thread for the Compilation of Kanji Slogans and Translations - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Regards,
    Stu

?

Default Re: Japans NCO shin-gunto, non-commissioned officer, opinions Please Gents!

Thx Stu!

ive ask the seller for better pics, hope he will honor my request....
    ASAP i got them, i will post them.

Ger

Default OH.MY.GAWD! OH.MY.GAWD! ..... OMG ..... This is important.

The right margin of the flag has the words

良武館
    Ryobukan

Signed by

小西康裕
    Konishi Yasuhiro

HOLY FISTICUFFS, BATMAN!!!! You have an historic find!!!! Well, let me qualify my excitement:

The Ryobukan was established by Konishi Yasuhiro sensei who originally was a kendo teacher (kendo and karate Hanshi). He is the person who sponsored Okinawan karate into the Dai Nippon Butokukai in 1936 as a "probate" martial art. (originally spelt 唐手 meaning "Chinese hand/boxing"). More here.

This flag might be very important to the martial arts historian. I can think of the publisher David Chambers who has done a martial arts magazine for many years and is quite knowledgeable about Konishi sensei.

By the way, the original writing for karate was 唐手 and pronounced both "kara - te" and "to - de" ... meaning Chinese (唐 kara/to) hand (手 te) -- or, "Chinese boxintg."

The Chinese character for karate today is 空手 [empty hand], meaning (1) weaponless and (2) "empty" as in "mushin" (; this "explanation" was invented by Funakoshi Gichin sensei, a school teacher. His goal was to expand the philosophical concept of boxing from "jutsu" (technique) to "do" (way/art).

As to value of the flag ... I really do not know. But if you get it and want to sell it, let me know and I'll see if David wants to buy it from you.

His kendo and karate dojo rules:

About Konishi sensei's karate style called Shindou Jinnen Ryu.
    English version.

About Konishi sensei.
    English version.

--Guy

PS. The flag is presented to Uematsu Shigeo

上松繁雄

And on the far right is the signature, "Judo Kataoka....."

柔道 片岡

Other people named Uematsu, too. Probably his dojo-mates.

Oh, here's one that says "kenshi" [swordsman] -- on the left of the meatball, about 9~8:00 o'clock position.

石井 .... 剣士

At least, I think the "kenshi" part is attributed to Ishii -- a bit out of alignment, but looks like the same type of hand.

--Guy

?

Thx Guy,

great info!
    Now i did my bidding and tried to get him on the Phone, but he didnt answered it.
    so all i can do is just wait......

Ger

Further to my comment about changing the writing of karate from > [both pronounced as "kara-te"] -- If I recall correctly, it was changed also so it would appear less "foreign" and more Japanese, thus having a better chance of being accepted by the Dai Nippon Butokukai, the governing body for all martial arts between 1895~1945. After all, the original spelling meant "Chinese Hand" ... and this was a time of extreme nationalism.

--Guy

?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Further to my comment about changing the writing of karate from > [both pronounced as "kara-te"] -- If I recall correctly, it was changed also so it would appear less "foreign" and more Japanese, thus having a better chance of being accepted by the Dai Nippon Butokukai, the governing body for all martial arts between 1895~1945. After all, the original spelling meant "Chinese Hand" ... and this was a time of extreme nationalism.

--Guy

Hi Guy,

From my readings of the works of Funakoshi Sensei this would be the accepted reasoning.

and ...

the flag would probably be of interest to several of us long term karateka here if Ger plans to resell it.

Regards,
    Stu

?

First of all i have to get in contact with the seller.
    So far he didn't return my call, nor reacts on my request for better pics.
    Hope that tomorrow will bring some light.....
    With better quality pics the value of the sword should be clear.
    I have to make him a decent offer, for now i have both leading bids: on the flag & the sword, but i know the swords bid is not good enough to win.

If i get both, then......IF i would sell the flag in the future, it will be here on warrelics, NP
    but let first focus on the value for doing a proper offer, and me trying to get them!
    Cheers,
    Ger

Quote by gerrit View Post
    ....for now i have both leading bids: on the flag & the sword, but i know the swords bid is not good enough to win.
    BUY THE FLAG !!!

You can always buy another NCO sword!!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast