MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

神 kamikaze 風

Article about: Yasukuni Shrine and the Yūshūkan (museum) in Chiyoda, Tokyo..Yasukuni Shrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia note Kamikaze Pilot Commemoration Statue..these photos are from my l

神 kamikaze 風神 kamikaze 風神 kamikaze 風神 kamikaze 風神 kamikaze 風神 kamikaze 風神 kamikaze 風神 kamikaze 風神 kamikaze 風神 kamikaze 風神 kamikaze 風神 kamikaze 風神 kamikaze 風Yasukuni Shrine and the Yūshūkan (museum) in Chiyoda, Tokyo..Yasukuni Shrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia note Kamikaze Pilot Commemoration Statue..these photos are from my last visit in 2011/12

Beyond the opening of the museum you cannot take photos,so i was unable to photograph the Kaiten..they also have a replica of a MXY8 Ohka

Hi bboywizard-san,

Thank you for sharing the photos, very interesting!

Taka

H264_ interesting short on the Kamikaze

Quote by bboywizard View Post
    H264_ interesting short on the Kamikaze
    Can' t watch YouTube here in China, unfortunately.

Taka

sorry bout that mate...i think i proxied around that last time i was in Shanghai..far be it from me to suggest something to stop state sponsored censorship How to Access YouTube in China | How To Access

No problem mate, thank you for your kind assistance.

Cheers!
    Taka

Taka,
    Awesome thread.
    Thank you for this information and perspective. I'm looking forward to learning more.

Scout,
    Quote by Scout View Post
    As other suicide missions were mentioned; the Luftwaffe also entertained the idea of 'ramming tactics' in the later stages of WWII.
    I just got done reading a good but long book titled Winged Victory the United States Army Air Forces in WWII. There was a section in it that discussed the Luftwaffe's development of head on attacks on US bombers as this was the least guarded. Initially the goal was to in a few seconds fire a quick burst and pull away right before collision (not always successful). It went from one on one to a mass of aircraft abreast taking on a whole formation. Taka, would this be considered Ketshi? Later on the Luftwaffe did sometimes resort to outright ramming.

The book also mentioned Japan's short lived use of "baka bombs". I'd be interested in learning more about those and how they are related to kamikaze attacks.

?

Quote by milcollector84 View Post
    Taka,
    Awesome thread.
    Thank you for this information and perspective. I'm looking forward to learning more.

Scout,

I just got done reading a good but long book titled Winged Victory the United States Army Air Forces in WWII. There was a section in it that discussed the Luftwaffe's development of head on attacks on US bombers as this was the least guarded. Initially the goal was to in a few seconds fire a quick burst and pull away right before collision (not always successful). It went from one on one to a mass of aircraft abreast taking on a whole formation.
    Taka, would this be considered Ketshi? Later on the Luftwaffe did sometimes resort to outright ramming.

The book also mentioned Japan's short lived use of "baka bombs". I'd be interested in learning more about those and how they are related to kamikaze attacks.
    Interesting.
    Thanks for info.

Hitler' s Kamikaze

Few members mentioned about the use of "Kamikaze" style attacks by The 3rd Reich's Luftwaffe, known as Sonderkommando "ELBE" (Special Command). In fact the use of this tactic was originated from the IJN Kamikaze Tokkou. When news of Kamikaze attacks were spread over Germany (1944), Oberst (Colonel) Hans-Joachim Herrmann of Luftwaffe was interested in this tactic and would like to use them on the U.S.A.A.F B-17s (8th Air force). 大島 Hiroshi Ōshima, a Japanese ambassador to the 3rd Reich was then invited to discuss of how effective of using Kamikaze Tokkou. Oberst Herrmann was skeptical about it, but he thought of trying to use this ultimate method. So he persuaded Reich Marshal Hermann Goring, and Adolf Hitler Führer of The 3rd Reich. At first they weren't agree to use suicide as a "priority weapon" (Not a traditional fighting way for German), not untill Oberst Herrmann insisted that by using this method it will hold the incoming enemy bombers, and would able to buy time for producing and maintaining jet fighters. Reich Marshal Goring finally agreed.

神 kamikaze 風//////////////////////////
    Photo (Left): Oberst Hans-Joachim "Hajo" Herrmann ////////////////// Photo (Right): Hiroshi Oshima

Recruiting began from end of 1944 ~ beginning of 1945, a total of 2000 volunteers were recruited, however, only 300 were chosen for the training. With only 10% chance of survival rate, not even one person refuse to withdraw. Sonderkommando "ELBE" was basically piloting an unarmed fighter to ram a target (bombers or later bridges), but the only survival method was to parachute out after the ramming attack, which was a different idea of Japanese Kamikaze Tokkou. This would be consider a Ketshi Attack.

There were around 180+ specialized aricraft (Bf-109s/ Fw-190s) for the Sonderkommando "ELBE". In order to perform the attack smoothly and quickly, cockpit armor and communication equipments were to be omitted (some have extra armor installed on the exterior of the aircraft for stronger impact and better survival rate). Their usual defensive weapons were two 13mm MG 131s (25 rounds each!).

神 kamikaze 風 Photo (Left): A Sonderkommando "ELBE" Bf-109 K-4.

On April 7th, 1944, the U.S.S.A.F deployed 1300+ bombers, and about 800 fighters for bombing over Germany. Luftwaffe fighters were scrambled from numerous German airfields to intercept the incoming enemies. At the end, 23 bombers were downed by either ramming and shooting from Sonderkommando "ELBE". Another 28 were brought down by Me-262s of JG 7. Losses for the Luftwaffe were 130+ fighters, among 40+ were Sonderkommando "ELBE". Some pilots were able to bale-out and parachuted to safety, but few were being shot and killed at mid-air by U.S. fighters. Due to the high loss rate, Sonderkommando "ELBE" had to be withdrawn (April 17th, 1944). The remaining pilots (not able to fly) were to be sent to fight the invading Soviet Red Army Forces.

After the war, a reunion organization (Sonderkommandos Bienenstock) of former Sonderkommando "ELBE" pilots was held. A monument was also built at Wietzenbruch, Celle, Germany. In 2005, a documentary movie called Das letzte Aufgebot - Hitlers Todespiloten was made (Interview of former Sonderkommando "ELBE" pilots and the pilots of the U.S.A.A.F, and the Soviet Airforce).

For reference:

Sonderkommando Elbe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hajo Herrmann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hiroshi
    Last edited by SHINDENKAI; 09-03-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast