Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

神 Kamikaze 風 Ohka 2 - Can you help the FAA Museum?

Article about: The Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovilton is after a bit of help with one their exhibits BBC News - Somerset museum seeks kamikaze insignia translation help Naval Aviation Museum, Royal Navy Hel

She is that.

?

Saburu Sakai is a very interesting pilot .....and persona as well for that matter.

I encourage those interested to read about him; a very capable pilot and interesting post war history as well.

I was just discussing his dog fight with Pug Southerland the other day. Southerland's plane was found some time after wars end still with his .45 inside. The gun that had gotten tangled upon Southerland egressing the plane in mid-air.

Sakai's leather flying helmet is still on display on the US IIRC.

Busted helmet:
    Miscellaneous Items

A projectile hit his goggles, creased his skull (damage easily visible in pic in link above). He had a long way home with an eye damaged and being low on fuel. He made it using a lean mixture and upon landing insisted on being debriefed prior to having the wound seen to.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Saburu Sakai is a very interesting pilot .....and persona as well for that matter.

I encourage those interested to read about him; a very capable pilot and interesting post war history as well.

I was just discussing his dog fight with Pug Southerland the other day. Southerland's plane was found some time after wars end still with his .45 inside. The gun that had gotten tangled upon Southerland egressing the plane in mid-air.

Sakai's leather flying helmet is still on display on the US IIRC.

Busted helmet:
    Miscellaneous Items

A projectile hit his goggles, creased his skull (damage easily visible in pic in link above). He had a long way home with an eye damaged and being low on fuel. He made it using a lean mixture and upon landing insisted on being debriefed prior to having the wound seen to.
    He was a very competent fighter pilot for sure Scout and his story is a most interesting one. I have read of The Cactus Air Force, Pug Southerland and his encounter with Sakai over Guadalcanal.
    Sakai's god certainly had him under his wing on that epic flight back to Rabaul.

Cheers mate

Dave

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3