Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Kamikaze pilot headband

Article about: by SHINDENKAI ...It refers to more than two people because they were joined in the same academy same time as a group. And correct me if I'm wrong, Taka-san ... the speaker is senior to the o

Thanks, Guy-san!

I will going to include that topic which is another interesting one.

Regards,
    Taka

?

This is a very interesting book on the IJN Kaiten operation.....Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kamikaze pilot headband  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Great thread, to round it out - I am currently working with preparing some Kamikaze specific aircraft designs for display, the MXKY-7 Ohaka trainer AKA the 'Baka' and the Nakajima Ki-115 Tsurugi - see picture of the Tsurugi below. One of only 2 out of 120 or so built. It was a cheap light weight one-way airplane assembled around surplus obsolete engines at the Nakajima factory, particularly Ki-43 Hayabusa types. We are doing a careful clean of all the preservative residue and then likely coat with an acryloid solution and then over paint. The fuselage is a cheap mild steel sheet material that was lightly galvanized, the galv has long ago sacrificed itself and now it is covered in a shell of thin rust. The wings are aluminum.

Kamikaze pilot headband
    Kamikaze pilot headband
    Kamikaze pilot headband

Mr Taka you may continue your information hereon this thread or you may start a thread of your own.. The pleasure will be for the students here. Your choice but a win for everyone! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

What a great thread this has transformed into.
    Well done on all the effort guys.
    Great item Larry

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Default 伏龍

Quote by SHINDENKAI View Post
    Thanks, Guy-san!

I will going to include that topic which is another interesting one.

Regards,
    Taka
    Taka-san,

Feel free to cut and paste this for your thread.

伏龍
    The Diving Society

Quote by JDH
    FUKURYU: The Crouching Dragons of Japan by Nyle Monday

The story of Japan’s Fukuryu (“Crouching Dragons”) is one of the tales of World War II that has gone virtually unnoticed for more than half a century. In the waning days of war, Japan found itself fighting a defensive war with fewer and fewer resources. Capitalizing on the resources it did have – mainly the fierce determination of her soldiers and sailors – she began a war of attrition which she hoped would prove so costly to the Allies that they would not be able to achieve their ultimate goal, the unconditional surrender of Japan. Using the willingness of her troops to sacrifice themselves in such no-return weapons as Kamikaze aircraft and manned torpedoes, Japan embarked on a “war without mercy” on her enemies.

Now, author Nyle Monday explores the history of this fascinating band of men and the equipment and tactics they used. Using official United States Navy sources as well as newly translated material from Japan, we are given our first detailed look at the last-ditch weapon that might have met Allied troops off the beaches of Japan had the invasion of that nation become a necessity.—(Pg 9)
    --Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Taka-san,

Regarding 特別攻撃隊 [特攻隊 - Tokkotai] I'm certain you are aware ... but many are not ... about the "crouching dragons": 伏龍 Fukuryu. I'll look for the article my friend wrote. He is a diver (hard-hat & scuba) who is very interested in the subject. When I was at Yasukuni, I took a photograph of the statue for his article.

[not my photo ... but same statue]

Cheers!
    --Guy
    I had a good friend, Sasano Masayuki, who was one of these frogmen swimming around Tokyo Bay with a bamboo pole and a satchel charge on the end. The object was to find and destroy American submarines. Some of you may know his name as he was a leading scholar on iron tsuba. He published numerous books on the subject and proved that some tsuba were much older than what the traditional teaching had taught. He told me that he had a wish to die for the Emperor. He volunteered for a naval unit in China which supposedly give him that opportunity as the newspapers printed continual accounts of their fierce combat encounters. When he got to the unit, he discovered that the stories were nothing more than propoganda. Thus, when he had the opportunity, he volunteered for this job. He was featured in a post war article about the kamikaze in Time magazine in 1947 with a picture of him holding a mock up of his pole and satchel charge.
    Last edited by BOB COLEMAN; 08-25-2013 at 03:41 AM.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Default 1946 US Navy Report re Fukuryu

In case someone has not read the 31 January 1946 US Navy report on the Fukuryu, USNTMJ-200I-0743-0766 S-91(N)

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    In case someone has not read the 31 January 1946 US Navy report on the Fukuryu, USNTMJ-200I-0743-0766 S-91(N)

--Guy
    Fantastic reference! Thank you, Guy-San!

Cheers!
    Taka

--Guy[/QUOTE]

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I had a good friend, Sasano Masayuli, who was one of these frogmen swimming around Tokyo Bay with a bamboo pole and a satchel charge on the end.
    Hi Bob,

I just copied your very informative response to Nyle Monday who wrote the article in the Journal of Historic Diving. He was trying to come up with a list of Fukuryu members. Did Sasano-san ever give you names of others in his group?

Thanks,
    --Guy

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast