Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Katana identification

Article about: Hello all, Can anyone help me identify what type of sword this is. Someone said it was for pilots but I have nothing to back this up. It's shorter than the typical Katana's. Blade is ~23 inc

MAP
    ?

Bob,

Furthermore, does a blade of this age have any special historical value (even in the condition it is in and being cut down)? Or is it a relatively common occurance? I took a gamble (have a money back gty) but not sure if I overpaid.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Michael-
    I would not cvonsider the blade as bein historically significant. However, it appears to be a nice blade. If you wish to share with me the price, I can at leaat give you an opinion if it is over priced or not. I may be away from the computer now for several hours but will reply still today. You can always send me a PM.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Bob. Just PM'ed you.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

The sword looked great IMO.. Can't wait to see the results after restoration !!! G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

MAP
    ?

Quote by Gwar View Post
    The sword looked great IMO.. Can't wait to see the results after restoration !!! G
    Thanks G,

Moses spent a lot of time on it. I have not seen it yet but am told it came out great. He dates it to the Mid murimachi period and potentially to athe sword maker Kanesada.

It will not of course be put back in these mounts.

M

?

So Mike will the finished product come back in a shirasaya? Is that included in the polishing?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Glad to hear that you had Mses work on your blade. Did you have him make a tsunagi for the military mounts? It is a historical part of the blades history.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    So Mike will the finished product come back in a shirasaya? Is that included in the polishing?
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Glad to hear that you had Mses work on your blade. Did you have him make a tsunagi for the military mounts? It is a historical part of the blades history.
    Phil/Bob,

Yes to both. I really wanted to display both the restored blade as well as the original mounts and he agreed. I just hope I can take decent pictures of it. But getting ahead of myself. Still waiting for it to arrive so I can see it. And will give a more of Moses feedback at that time.

Bob: Also want to thank you for helping me and recommending Moses. While it took almost a year and a half, he has assured me that it looks great.

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Phil/Bob,

... While it took almost a year and a half, he has assured me that it looks great.
    I'm sure it will look outstanding as Moses does top level polishing. I'm also sure that some folks might think that's a long wait period but when it comes to having guys like Becerra (Moses) or Benson hand polish a sword blade that's the norm. They are in high demand and as Bob indicated you don't want to submit a blade for polishing to just anyone. A well meaning but insufficiently trained polisher can ruin a blade in a very short period of time.

I'm looking forward to seeing a few photos when you are able to post them.

Regards,
    Stu

Agree to what has been said, can t wait either to see the outcome, good stuff

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast