Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Katana identification

Article about: Hello all, Can anyone help me identify what type of sword this is. Someone said it was for pilots but I have nothing to back this up. It's shorter than the typical Katana's. Blade is ~23 inc

MAP
    ?

Quote by Stu W View Post
    I'm sure it will look outstanding as Moses does top level polishing. I'm also sure that some folks might think that's a long wait period but when it comes to having guys like Becerra (Moses) or Benson hand polish a sword blade that's the norm. They are in high demand and as Bob indicated you don't want to submit a blade for polishing to just anyone. A well meaning but insufficiently trained polisher can ruin a blade in a very short period of time.

I'm looking forward to seeing a few photos when you are able to post them.

Regards,
    Stu
    Thanks Stu. I am in no way upset at the time it took. Moses, Bob and you all gave me the lay of the land so to speak. I am happy I had the help of you and Bob to guide me and Moses to restore it. I have learned so much about this blade and the process in general. It really is a labor of love and requires extreme dedication.

Just another week hopefully and I will post it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I am excited for you! Just be sure you are sitting down when you remove it from the Saya for the first time so your jaw doesn't break when it hits the floor! Can't wait to see the pics! Regards,Geoff

Looking forwards to the finished results!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

While it comes to mind I'll also mention that when you draw the blade from the shirasaya make sure to do so with the blade edge upward, so as not to drag it along the wood interior, and anticipate that you will need to watch carefully when the tip is about to come out because there is a tendency to lower your elbow as you draw your arm back and that tilts the tip toward the upper portion of the saya just as it exits the mouth. The longer the blade the more easily damaged.

When you put the blade back in tilt the closed end of the saya slightly downward, rest the tip of the sword on it's back in the mouth of the saya then as you slide the blade forward raise the saya to a horizontal position. That way the blade slides in on it's back and the cutting edge does not touch anything.

Some of you will know this and to you it's old news but for those that don't it's particularly important when dealing with a fine blade but should actually be a method for removing any sword blade from a scabbard whether it be gunto mounts or a shirasaya (resting scabbard).

Regards,
    Stu
    Last edited by Stu W; 11-28-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Stu,

Since it has a fresh polish, shouldn't he oil the blade once a week for the first few months? [then carefully remove most of the oil using a tissue]. And not use the "pom-pom" since it is powdered stone ... this is still a fresh polish and that polishing powder will not be needed for a while.

I forgot a lot of this stuff!

--Guy

MAP
    ?

Thanks guys. Moses is providing me with a maintenance kit and has given me instructions on what to do. This has all been quite helpful however. Now we all just have to wait for it to arrive. Just in time for Christmas

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Thanks guys. Moses is providing me with a maintenance kit and has given me instructions on what to do. This has all been quite helpful however. Now we all just have to wait for it to arrive. Just in time for Christmas
    Good, as my advice would have been to been to follow his instructions.

I must admit though that over the years I've become less and less comfortable using uchiko powder unless I know the source to be one providing a quality product. Moses will of course supply you with quality materials but some of the cheap ones you can buy on the Net have not been well screened nor made and the powder is too abrasive and can mar the finish if used too vigorously.

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Good, as my advice would have been to been to follow his instructions.

I must admit though that over the years I've become less and less comfortable using uchiko powder unless I know the source to be one providing a quality product. Moses will of course supply you with quality materials but some of the cheap ones you can buy on the Net have not been well screened nor made and the powder is too abrasive and can mar the finish if used too vigorously.

Regards,
    Stu
    This is a very good point from Stu. After applying uchiko to the blade, gently clean it off in one direction. Never rub back and forth on the blade as it can easily cause scratches.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Speaking of sword polishing .... I just now happened onto this image on Google search and thought I'd share.
    link
    I'm unable to copy the large image, but it is 3rd row, far right image.

Artist: Wada, Sanzo (1883-1967) - 和田三造
    Title: Sword Sharpener
    Series: Japanese Vocations in Pictures - Series 1 - 昭和職業繪盡
    Date: 1939 (this item: First/Early edition)
    Publisher: Nishinomiya Shoin - 西宮
    Medium: Woodblock - 木版画
    Format: Oban - 大判, 39 x 29cm (sheet size)
    Item Code: 11613-Wada_Sanzo
    Notes: Limited edition of only 300 prints.

This print is from the original pre-war series by the publisher Nishinomiya Shoin, not from a later post-war edition by Kyoto Hanga-In. It contains the original series title at the lower right corner. Artist signature and seal within the printed area.

--Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images Katana identification 

MAP
    ?

Very beautiful print Guy. Thanks for posting the link. I watched Moses' video a while back. Very similar.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast