Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Katana identification

Article about: Hello all, Can anyone help me identify what type of sword this is. Someone said it was for pilots but I have nothing to back this up. It's shorter than the typical Katana's. Blade is ~23 inc

There was a series of these prints that showed all of the various artisans related to the sword. An old friend of mine had a complete set he picked up in the 1960's in Japan. He is now gone and so is all of his Japanese material.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    There was a series of these prints that showed all of the various artisans related to the sword. An old friend of mine had a complete set he picked up in the 1960's in Japan. He is now gone and so is all of his Japanese material.
    What a loss! Too bad there is not a link showing the various prints ... like this series. I'd love to see that.

--Guy

MAP
    ?

I have been holding my breath but here it finally here!!! Moses has done an incredible job IMHO. What was a pitted rusted item, has been returned to its former glory. I look forward to all your comments.

Note: I will try to provide better pictures. I have not had the sword in my hands for more than an hour. But wanted to get some out there for you all that have helped me out and supported me when I embarked on this path.

But before the pictures, here is a brief edited synopsis what Moses has told me about the sword:

The restoration turned out exceptionally well despite concern over the depth of the rust. The quality of this blade is very good. There does not appear to be any major flaws with the blade.

The Hamon is extremely active and has many Hataraki. The Ji is also rich looking and very well forged. The sword looks to be Murimachi (mid to late) and he would not be surprised if sent to Shinsa if they attribute it to the Kanesada school.

So here goes....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

What's in the box?

Katana identificationKatana identificationKatana identificationKatana identificationKatana identificationKatana identification

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Any "marks" you see are actually just dust. The blade is now free of all pits, rust, chips, etc.

It will be wiped clean

I encourage you to look at the pictures from the beginning of the thread to see how much work was done.

If you would like more pictures just let me know.

Katana identificationKatana identificationKatana identificationKatana identificationKatana identificationKatana identificationKatana identificationKatana identificationKatana identification

Wow!!!! You're a LOT younger than I thought!

(^__^)

p.s.
    BEAUTIFUL sword!!!!

?

Nice Micheal. Yes indeed Wipe it down and post more pic's.
    Ones where it is not resting on the edge.
    I know its hard to capture with pic's and I look forward to them. But does the hamon run along the boshi(Tip)?

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Wow!!!! You're a LOT younger than I thought!

(^__^)

p.s.
    BEAUTIFUL sword!!!!
    Thanks!

LoL... My youngest son. He is my protégé and loves militaria. I am giving this sword to him so he was quite excited. Of course I will be the caretaker of it for many years to come

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Nice Micheal. Yes indeed Wipe it down and post more pic's.
    Ones where it is not resting on the edge.
    I know its hard to capture with pic's and I look forward to them. But does the hamon run along the boshi(Tip)?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Except for the soft plastic the blade was not touching anything. And then only for a few seconds I did not want to lay it on the red velvet as it would have picked up lots of dust.

If I look closely I think a see a bit of the Hamon extending to the tip but not much.

Quite busy at the office so will need to take better pictures over the weekend. Plus I have to ask permission to borrow my wifes camera and this weekend is the local militaria show.....

Quote by MAP View Post

....I encourage you to look at the pictures from the beginning of the thread to see how much work was done.

Dunno ....

Before:

After:
    Katana identification

MAP
    ?

You beat me to it! Was going to do this but busy getting kids in bed.

Pretty amazing!!! Thanks!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast