Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Katana identification

Article about: Hello all, Can anyone help me identify what type of sword this is. Someone said it was for pilots but I have nothing to back this up. It's shorter than the typical Katana's. Blade is ~23 inc

Rod
    ?

Great story, great photos Michael, thanks!

Although not a sword guy I love to see a hamon with character such as the one on this sword. The blade also appears fresh and without faults that I can see, so it could probably take a few more polishes. You were the right guy for this sword.

Maybe in 200 years someone in Japan will look at it and think,"if only it could talk..." meaning they wish they could hear about your part in its journey. Very cool!

Do you plan to have it evaluated?

Rod

Is this the Katana you were telling me about at the show? I know I'm a little late to this thread, but that is an amazing restoration it looks brand new.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rod View Post
    Great story, great photos Michael, thanks!

Although not a sword guy I love to see a hamon with character such as the one on this sword. The blade also appears fresh and without faults that I can see, so it could probably take a few more polishes. You were the right guy for this sword.

Maybe in 200 years someone in Japan will look at it and think,"if only it could talk..." meaning they wish they could hear about your part in its journey. Very cool!

I was thinking of having it evaluated. But after speaking to a few people (including the late Bob Coleman) I decided not to pursue at the time. The primary issue I was told is that since the sword was cut down and the signature lost, it would be difficult to get an exact evaluation. But that based on the style, shape, fuller, hamon, Moses was pretty sure what era it was from and who might have made it. Maybe one day I'll do it.

Rod
    Thanks Rod.

According to Moses, who did the restoration and literally saved this blade, he took it as far as he could. He almost didn't think it was repairable.

I wouldn't be against returning this sword (although I have already promised it to my son) if I could find the rightful owner. But like many items, all the history has been lost.

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Is this the Katana you were telling me about at the show? I know I'm a little late to this thread, but that is an amazing restoration it looks brand new.
    Yes. the same one. As I mentioned above to Rod, Moses took it as far as possible. In hand if you look close there are still a few tiny pits. They could not be polished out any further.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Absolutely stunning result, a remarkable restoration. It is amazing what can be done by such a talented artisan!

Regards

Russ

Rod
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    According to Moses, who did the restoration and literally saved this blade, he took it as far as he could. He almost didn't think it was repairable.

I wouldn't be against returning this sword (although I have already promised it to my son) if I could find the rightful owner. But like many items, all the history has been lost.
    Michael, I couldn't tell the skin had become that thin from your photos but it makes sense with a sword of its age. Still a beauty! Kudos to Moses for a job well done and to you for saving it.

Please consider you may be the rightful owner now and your son the rightful heir. Of course without submitting it to shinsa you won't know for sure but it may be a mass produced blade from the time of the warring states. It's also possible a short officer purchased this blade off the shelf and had it shortened for use as a gunto, just saying (gee whiz, if only it could talk).

Cheers, Rod

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rod View Post
    Michael, I couldn't tell the skin had become that thin from your photos but it makes sense with a sword of its age. Still a beauty! Kudos to Moses for a job well done and to you for saving it.

Please consider you may be the rightful owner now and your son the rightful heir. Of course without submitting it to shinsa you won't know for sure but it may be a mass produced blade from the time of the warring states. It's also possible a short officer purchased this blade off the shelf and had it shortened for use as a gunto, just saying (gee whiz, if only it could talk).

Cheers, Rod
    Thanks Rod, You got me thinking again, maybe I will submit it.....

These are the notes I took down from Moses (and a couple of others).

- The quality of this blade is very good. It is not a rare blade but excellent quality and desirable. Many mass produced blades of poor quality were produced in the Late Muromachi Period. The presence of hi (grooves) indicate that this was probably not the case with this blade as they would have been special order.
    - The hamon is extremely active and has many hataraki. The ji is also rich looking and very well forged.
    - This sword looks Murimachi and would not be surprised if sent to shinsa that they attribute it to the Canesada school of the Mino tradition. So potentially Mid (1467 - 1554) or Late Muromachi Period (1555 - 1595)
    - Could not find any major flaws on this sword at all
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Just a beautiful blade Michael , and well done for having the polish done , it has brought it to life
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8