Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Katana tang

Article about: hello gents, a sword i had taken for granted, i decided to pull the handle off just to look. i think its previous owner had it looked at because the kanji has white paint to make it stand ou

?

Default Re: Katana tang

thanks Alan,
    its kind of fun to get the stuff out and take pics.
    i was hoping some one could help me out on this sword tang.
    andrew

Your sword is mounted in the 1944 pattern Imperial Japanese Army mounts. These have called in the past Naval Landing Force swords, which they are not. They come in two models. A heavy lacquered wood scabbard with lacquered handle wrap. This form always contains a traditional hand forged blade. Your sword is the second type with the painted steel scabbard and factory made blade. Your blade is dated the 12th month of the 19th year of Showa or December, 1944. There are no known records of the factory workers who made these blades.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Bob, thank you very much. sorry it was not a more interesting read. i really do appreciate you taking the time to translate this for me.
    andrew

Hi Andrew, I'm glad Bob was able to translate for you. That's exciting to have a legit, Japanese WWII sword in such good shape. I wonder if the guy that made it knew defeat was only eight months away. I get excited when i can get specific information for items in my collection, great history.

Take care,
    Jay

?

Hi Andrew , the term "marine landing forces sword" is a general term used by dealers and collectors alike when referring to these late war examples of which yours is one . Opologies for the mistake in my translation of the kanji on your blade , i was a few weeks adrift
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Hi Andrew , the term "marine landing forces sword" is a general term used by dealers and collectors alike when referring to these late war examples of which yours is one . Opologies for the mistake in my translation of the kanji on your blade , i was a few weeks adrift

Alan-
    I was trying to correctly identify the piece, not make you look bad. Please do not take it that way. Many years ago, I also referred to this form of mounting incorrectly. The purpose of this place is to correct error and incorrect information.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

bob , i would not take offence to any knowledge i gain on this super forum
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

i thank both you gents ,
    i do appreciate the help. on a lighter note, you call the sword anything but made in china , and i wont be offended. lol
    andrew

?

I read the entire thread looking for the swordsmith's name on this Type 100 and I still can't find it. So, my best guess is Yoshifusa 義房? Guy, can you come to the rescue!
    義房 = Yoshifusa
    昭和十九年十二月 = 1944 December.

Hi Kiipu,

Yupper, you are correct.

義房
    Yoshifusa

Register of Names of Seki Forge Swordsmiths Since Showa 14, October [1939]"

義房 杉本房夫 S19.02.02
    • Smith name: Yoshifusa
    • Civil name: Sugimoto Fusao
    • Registered/licensed: Showa 19 [1944] February 2

From: Markus Sesko's Japanese Swordsmiths. He lists two Showa-era Yoshifusas:

• YOSHIFUSA (義房), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Yoshifusa” (義房), real name Sugimoto Fusao (杉本房夫)
    • YOSHIFUSA (義房), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Yoshifusa” (義房), real name Yoshida Sadao (吉田貞夫)

Cheers,
    -- Guy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast