Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Katana by taniguchi yoshikane , seki swordsmith .paper mache scabbard cover !

Article about: Thought id post my Shin Gunto Katana by Taniguchi Yoshikane of the seki arsenel . Its housed in a laquered paper mache cover which i suppose relates to late war leather restrictions. The sil

Default Katana by taniguchi yoshikane , seki swordsmith .paper mache scabbard cover !

Katana by taniguchi yoshikane , seki swordsmith .paper mache scabbard cover !Katana by taniguchi yoshikane , seki swordsmith .paper mache scabbard cover !Katana by taniguchi yoshikane , seki swordsmith .paper mache scabbard cover !Katana by taniguchi yoshikane , seki swordsmith .paper mache scabbard cover !Thought id post my Shin Gunto Katana by Taniguchi Yoshikane of the seki arsenel . Its housed in a laquered paper mache cover which i suppose relates to late war leather restrictions. The silk flag is apparently signed by Navy Administation Officers .

?

Default Re: Katana by taniguchi yoshikane , seki swordsmith .paper mache scabbard cover !

Nice!

Tom

?

Default Re: Katana by taniguchi yoshikane , seki swordsmith .paper mache scabbard cover !

Hi Rob , it,s amazing the ingenuity in the use of alternative materials during times of shortage ! Nice sword and flag
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

谷口義包作 Taniguchi Yoshikane saku.
    Type 98 with papier-mâché scabbard cover. Has large Seki 関 stamp. Tang has two mekugi ana close together, possibly rehilted at some point.

関鍛治刀匠名簿・ 昭和14年10月
    From the Register of Names of Seki Forge Swordsmiths Since Showa 14, October (1939)

義包 谷口和兄 S15.08.31
    Swordsmith Name: Yoshikane
    Civil name: Taniguchi Kazué
    Entered into the Seki Guild: Showa 15 [1940], August 31

From Markus Sesko's Japanese Swordsmiths:
    YOSHIKANE (義包), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Yoshikane” (義包), real name Taniguchi Kazue (谷口和兄), he worked as guntō smith, Fifth Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)

Cheers,
    -- Guy

Flag was presented to a Mr. Kato [加藤] possibly naval officer, but the familiar 君 [kun] for "Mr." is used instead of a rank, so I don' know if he was an officer or not. I see the names of a rear admiral, a navy captain [colonel], three navy lieutenants [army captain equivalent], and some others.

I cannot read through the blade and saya, but the RADM's name might be Hayagawa 早川. If you show a clear shot I can research the name. Nevermind, I found him as an Admin RADM:

早川貞吉Hayakawa Teikichi、1891-1976(経3、25/32愛知).主計少将.
    1914.12/19少主計候補生、経理学校乙種学生15. 5/15明石乗員
    15.12/13少主計、(-17.4/1)富士乗員
    17.12/1中主計
    19.9/23主計中尉
    20.12/1主計大尉、淀主計長22.5/1呉海兵団教官23.4/1千歳主計長10/10兼淀主計長11/10-25.2/2平戸(24.12/1兼大和)主計長25.3/2機関学校教官26.6/15呉軍需部部員
    27.12/1主計少佐、間宮主計長28.12/10経理学校主計長兼教官兼監事兼副官 31.12/1舞鶴要港部員
    32.12/1主計中佐36.12/1長門主計長37.1/26-12/1陸奥主計長
    37.12/1主計大佐.
    人名事典はや〜.The Naval Data Base.

I think the navy captain is Shimizu Nobuhide:
    清水信英Shimizu Nobuhide(経3、23/32愛媛).主計大佐.
    1914.12/19少主計候補生
    15.12/13少主計
    17.12/1中主計
    19.9/23主計中尉>千代田主計長心得20.8/1知床艤装員9/18兼主計長心得/20竣工
    20.12/1主計大尉、知床主計長21.12/1矢矧主計長>大井主計長>多摩主計長26 .12/1佐世保軍需部員
    27.12/1主計少佐>比叡主計長29.11/30横須賀軍需部員31.12/1横須賀経理部員
    32.12/1主計中佐、榛名主計長33.12/1兵学校主計長兼教官>呉軍需部第3課 兼部員.
    人名事典しみ〜.The Naval Data Base.

Cheers!
    -- Guy

Why does it have two holes? I usually see this on older swords that have been refitted. Excuse my question I see it was answered I guess the earlier post just didn't load.

Quote by jeeplover View Post
    Why does it have two holes? I usually see this on older swords that have been refitted.
    In this case it might have had a different handle/scabbard made for it. Sometimes you'll see a second hole near the bottom for a second retaining pin; in this case it would offer a failsafe if the forward bamboo peg broke or was lost. My newly-made sword had two holes for that reason.

But I digress. In your case it was more than likely a second handle fitted to shorten the length of the cutting edge by an inch or so.

Cheers,
    -- Guy

This one is interesting, with the all-brown tassel. I would have filed it under Gunzoku, but with the flag translated as coming from Naval personnel, this may be a Navy tassel. Yet, Guy's reading of the "Mr Kato" could still indicate he was Navy Gunzoku. When I first saw this, I was puzzled by the icky dark same'. The fittings are Army, but maybe the same' was darkened for a guy that was going to work with the Navy? I don't know.

I'm still going to chart this one as Gunzoku, since the fittings are Army.

Bruce, I doubt the flag is associated with the sword. (Unless, of course, there is provenance.)

-- Guy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast