Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Late Stage Japanese NCO Shin-Gunto

Article about: Has anyone seen 'late stage' shin-gunto's with wooden Tsukas (handles) but with blades containing fullers or (bo hi)? My research shows that the late stage swords were not made this way but

Default Late Stage Japanese NCO Shin-Gunto

Has anyone seen 'late stage' shin-gunto's with wooden Tsukas (handles) but with blades containing fullers or (bo hi)? My research shows that the late stage swords were not made this way but i'm curious if it was common to refit blades with wooden handles later in the war. I ask because i'm looking at adding to my collection and I want to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible to avoid getting duped. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

?

Default Re: Late Stage Japanese NCO Shin-Gunto

Hi Don,

I've learned never to say never when it comes to militaria of most types but to date I have not. All late war Type 95 I have seen had rather crudely made blades without hi.

Are you familiar with Dawson's updated work as pictured below? Well worth the price for anyone interested in military swords.

Regards,
    Stu

Hi Stu,

Actually I recently learned about this book and I currently have one on order. I'll be reading that front to back, back to front the second it arrives. I also order one by Richard Fuller.....is that one any good in your opinion?

?

Hi Don,

Fuller put out several good books and in the day they were cutting edge. Not so much anymore. Good to have in the library though as some things have not changed but I feel Dawson, through his updated edition, has taken the subject well beyond any of the other authors at this point in time.

Regards,
    Stu

Stu,

Sorry to keep asking so many questions, but you have been a huge help. On this same topic I found an example on ebay (I know not the greatest place to buy a sword please don't yell at me ) but it is another example of an NCO sword with a wooden Tsuka but a blade with a bo-hi. Thoughts? Is it a re-fit? Also if you know any reputable sources to buy swords i'd love to know that information too. As always, thanks a million for your input as i'm just a guy trying to learn as much as i can.

Late War Japanese NCO Samurai Sword Wood Handle Variation WWII 1945 RARE Item | eBay

?

Hi Don,

It's late here and I'm on an iPad. Will check it out in the morning on a proper screen. No need for an apology. I enjoy the study so questions are welcome. I learn more all the time from checking things out so it's all good.

As to sources ... more on that later.

Regards,
    Stu

Stu,

Even more interesting.....here are the arsenal markings for this sword

Note the wooden Tsuba with a Nagoya Aresenal and Nagoya factory stamp (I can't make out the private sector stamp its worn down)......and here is what the blade looks like...