Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Late War NCO Shin Gunto

Article about: Back in 2014 there was a thread about one of these. Stu was kind enough to point out my incorrect collector terminology that this type was a "last ditch". I promised to take pictur

MAP
    ?

Default Late War NCO Shin Gunto

Back in 2014 there was a thread about one of these. Stu was kind enough to point out my incorrect collector terminology that this type was a "last ditch". I promised to take pictures but never got around to it....until today.

So here is my late war NCO Shin Gunto. Matching Saya and blade. In terrific shape with just one small chip at the tip.

Also interesting are the finger print and fabric impressions left on the Saya.

Enjoy! And sorry I'm so late Stu!

Michael

P.S. Yes......lots of pictures but wanted to capture the details

Late War NCO Shin GuntoLate War NCO Shin Gunto

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A very nice example Michael!
    I like the natural patina to this one.
    Congrats!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    A very nice example Michael!
    I like the natural patina to this one.
    Congrats!
    Ralph.
    Thanks Ralph. Too bad I had to cut down the resolution to upload. The pictures in hi-rez really show this one off.

Had this for many years now. Just never got around to photograph it.

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice to see one that hasn't been used to chop wood or wire with!!Thanks for the photos, Regards,Geoff

MAP
    ?

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    Nice to see one that hasn't been used to chop wood or wire with!!Thanks for the photos, Regards,Geoff
    I'm sure this one sat in a closet for 70 years. Glad you enjoyed it. I remember the time that these were past over and were dirt cheap. Not anymore

I like the "2" stamped almost on top of the Seki stamp on the blade. Also, I like the stippling on the kabuto-game. Higher quality. Speaking of high quality, the cross hatching is very well done. Not much "last-ditch"y about this fine specimen!

MAP
    ?

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    I like the "2" stamped almost on top of the Seki stamp on the blade. Also, I like the stippling on the kabuto-game. Higher quality. Speaking of high quality, the cross hatching is very well done. Not much "last-ditch"y about this fine specimen!
    Thanks Bruce. Yes this one still has some quality left in it. The double stamping of the serial numbers over the Seki is neat. Personally I love the fingerprints on the Saya. I never noticed this until yesterday when I took my macro lens out and photographed the blade

?

Great piece and better late than never with the photos!

Regards,
    Stu

?

MAP, if you still own the sword, a few questions for you. Do you think the black paint on the scabbard is original to the sword? Are there any signs of a primer or other paint underneath the black paint of the scabbard?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    MAP, if you still own the sword, a few questions for you. Do you think the black paint on the scabbard is original to the sword? Are there any signs of a primer or other paint underneath the black paint of the scabbard?
    I'm not an authority on these to answer if the black paint is original or not. To me, in hand I can say that the paint is very very old. Plus, I see no reason why someone would need to repaint it black as the overall sword is in very good condition.

If you look close at the photos above, there are scratches that reveal bare metal. Not sure however if it scratched through the paint and primer or if there was no primer. But I see no evidence of primer or another color

I posted this in another thread before these photos as (if I remember correctly) there was a discussion as to whether these black scabbards were original or post war...

I will leave it up to others with more experience to provide their opinions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast