Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Late war sword

Article about: I went to the Albany gun show today. As I walked into the entrance all I could see was a gentleman holding this sword. It was as if the light was shinning down on him and all I could see was

If you collect ww2 japanese blade everyone needs a late war last ditch blade. Not the best quality, but not as common as early and middle war blades. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Marty I agree

?

Hi Guys,

I like to think of these Type 3 as late war pieces but not yet what I would call last ditch. I've seen much worse produced later on. They were, in my view, a switch to a more serviceable combat weapon as compared to the Type 98.

The wartime type Gunto for army officers 1943 (Type 3 GuntM)

I have several and while they usually have 44 and 45 dated blades one of mine has a 43 dated blade.

They can also be found with star stamped Rikugun Jumei Tosho Swordsmith blades and occasionally other gendaito blades. Here is an example of a star stamped one.
    Late war swordLate war swordLate war sword

Regards,
    Stu

?

Stu very nice . You have some great photos of your swords. Gary

I saw this sword in person. It's gorgeous. Nice job, Gary. I think Brian was a little annoyed at your good fortune. Hah!

?

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Stu very nice . You have some great photos of your swords. Gary
    Thanks Gary,

While I do periodically take some good photos of my swords, and that sword is mine, on this occasion I must credit Moses Becerra for taking those photos. And Yes, they are used with his permission.

Regards,
    Stu

this type mounting comes in two variations. There is the model you bought, which is the more common. There is another variation with a rough lacquered wood scabbard and heavily lacquered handle wrap. This form always contains true gendaito just as your model contains factory made blades. I have never seen a variance to these variances. Interestingly enough, some of the gendaito I have seen in these mounts in my opinion rate far better in quality than other earlier war time gendaito I have encountered.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Ricky it was great seeing you today, Did you pick up anything else. Stu Moses Becerra took some great photos of your sword. Gary

I went to that show today also! A good show that was well attended, I bought some ammo but as always at theseshows most prices are a little high-good purchase!

Looks like I missed out on a good show and opportunity to meet some forum members. I feel shame and regret.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast