Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Light Weight Shingunto

Article about: Hello All Please forgive the rushed photos ,But I am so excited!! I was lucky enough to obtain an example of this elusive piece from a Gentleman whom I have done business with several times

I had a little time so I thought I would post a photo to illustrate the difference in size between a full sized Army Gunto seppa and one for the lightweight version.I am still hoping a period photo of the lightweight version will pop up! Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Light Weight Shingunto  

It was not unusual for older officers to have a lighter weight dress katana and a standard combat one. Many years ago, I bought a pair of swords in type 98 mounts from a veteran. He had been given them by a Japanese Army colonel he had befriended. As he had to give them up, he wanted them to go to a friend. They were both Shinto that had the same title of Omi no Kami but the katana and wakizashi were made by different unrelated smiths. They evidently had been a remounted daisho. The wakizashi had a light weight lacquered wood saya and the katana was in a standard steel saya with leather field cover. Both swords jad the owner's mon and field grade tassels. this was a case where the colonel was likely from the samurai class and the blades had been family swords. The lightweight sword that began this thread is very interesting and seldom encountered. I can only recall having seen one of these in the past.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you Mr.Coleman.I appreciate your comments on the piece.I was just wondering if the Japanese people were intrigued by the European thoughts of a "Court Sword" and perhaps trying in a "Diplomatic" effort to produce a more "Delicate and Diplomatic" type of sword?? perhaps for the purposes of being on a more level plane for negotiations? V.S. Hostility?? I would appreciate your thoughts,Regards, Geoff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3