Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Marine Returns Japanese WWII Flag to Original Family

Article about: Story here. “...I remember walking up to him,” said Strombo. “He was laying on his back, slightly more turned to one side. There were no visible wounds and it made it look almost as if he wa

Default Marine Returns Japanese WWII Flag to Original Family

Story here.

“...I remember walking up to him,” said Strombo. “He was laying on his back, slightly more turned to one side. There were no visible wounds and it made it look almost as if he was just asleep. I could see the corner of the flag folded up against his heart. As I reached for it, my body didn’t let me grab it at first. I knew it meant a lot to him but I knew if I left it there someone else might come by and take it. The flag could be lost forever. I made myself promise him, that one day, I would give back the flag after the war was over.....”

By Sgt. Neysa Huertas Quinones, Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan
    August 2017
    Quote by Photo Caption
    Marine returns Japanese WWII flag to original family

Tatsuya Yasue, left, receives a flag from World War II veteran Marvin Strombo at Higashishirakawa Village, Gifu Prefecture, Japan, Aug. 15, 2017. Tatsuya, along with other members of the family have waited over 70 years for the return of the brother they lost during the war. The ceremony provided both families with closure as they finally have a part of Sadao Yasue to bring home. The reunion was made possible by the Obon Society of Astoria, Oregon. The ceremony also took place during the Obon holiday in Japan, a holiday dedicated to going back to the place of origin of one’s family and spending time with one another.

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Marine Returns Japanese WWII Flag to Original Family  

Another flag was returned I think it was 2 weeks ago, also by the Obon Society to the sister of a fallen soldier and was featured on NHK World News.

Hi,

This picture is heartbreaking, I love when this kind of story ends well. With the flag really going back to someone who care. I hope the next generation of theese family will keep the flag in memoriam of Sadao's sacrifice, and for all of the too many Japanese, American, British, Australian, and others Asian natives fallen in this war.

Thanks for sharing.
    Mat.

Good for him. This puts some closure to a family who has suffered much over the past 72 years.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

What a great story.