Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Avatar

Article about: Here is some background on my "avatar" photo. This is my dad on Saipan in 1944 when he was 19 years old. He was in the Army Engineers. There is also a photo of this exact tank in a

Default My Avatar

Here is some background on my "avatar" photo. This is my dad on Saipan in 1944 when he was 19 years old. He was in the Army Engineers. There is also a photo of this exact tank in a 1945 National Geographic magazine. I often asked him why he didn't bring back that T-97 MG sitting right there at his feet!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Avatar   My Avatar  

My Avatar   My Avatar  

My Avatar  

?

Why didn't he?

Tom

I wondered about the avatar a few times. Good story to share.
    John

Good pictures of your dad. It is nice to have the images to pass down through the generations.

He was so young! What were most of us doing when we were 18~20 years old? He sure grew up quickly, I'll bet.

Great photo!

--Guy

MAP
    ?

Great Photo. Really the greatest generation
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by tomp View Post
    Why didn't he?

Tom
    I never did get a good answer from him on that

?

Quote by arisakadogs View Post
    I never did get a good answer from him on that
    Reminds me of my grandpa's stories of his time on Iwo Jima. One story involves finding a Japanese aircraft machine-gun in an "airplane graveyard" (his words), messing around with it, and then throwing it back into the "graveyard". For some reason, that was one item that wasn't shipped home.

Tom

Nice tribute, Dogs. You're lucky to have such good pictures like that! I suspect many guys in the war just wanted to get home and weren't interested in bringing back memories. From another angle, my dad was just not interested, or completely unaware of "collectable" things. I once had a stack of 64 Beetle bubblegum cards that he threw away with all my "other toys" when I went off to college!!! Arggg!

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Nice tribute, Dogs. You're lucky to have such good pictures like that! I suspect many guys in the war just wanted to get home and weren't interested in bringing back memories. From another angle, my dad was just not interested, or completely unaware of "collectable" things. I once had a stack of 64 Beetle bubblegum cards that he threw away with all my "other toys" when I went off to college!!! Arggg!
    I know the feeling. My folks threw away all my records and all the model airplanes and tanks I built when I went off to the Navy in 1971.