Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My first Katana

Article about: Hi could the guys in the know have a look at my first Katana , I purchased this from a trusted dealer I have known for a few years, I have always stayed away from these as I have no knowledg

?

could i just ask , Kojima Katsumasa is that the maker of the blade or the finisher of the blade.
    many thanks Tim

Quote by busman View Post
    could i just ask , Kojima Katsumasa is that the maker of the blade or the finisher of the blade.
    many thanks Tim
    The swordsmith.

--Guy

?

Ok , and the blade is machined made rather than hand made. Did this sword smith make any traditional hand made blades.

?

Hope u don't mind the what may seem dumb questions, but I on major learning curve here.

Hope u don't mind the what may seem dumb questions, but I on major learning curve here.
    Nope - we all have to learn. Truth is, I do not know the answer to your question. I did an earlier search but could ot find anything other that what I've already posted.

--Guy

?

Hi Tim,

Generally speaking there are three categories of blades where Shin and Kai-gunto manufacturing is concerned.

The all machine made type such as the Type 95 IJA NCO sword.
    The Semi machine made with hand finishing as often found in IJA and IJN Officer Type 94, 98 and 97 mounts.
    The fully hand made which might be either of Showato or Gendaito as the terms are used by nihonto collectors.

JAPANESE SHOWA ERA SWORDS

I feel that yours is, as I mentioned above, in the second category. I believe the signature is of the smith who finished it off. Some confusion may come about when using the term "smith". I don't consider an untrained factory worker handling a mass produced blade blank in its early form a "smith" whereas I do consider the person who finished it off to be one. Then again there are many levels of sword smith ranging from Yasukuni and Minatogawa smiths, doing fine traditional work during the war, to those with far less training and skill finishing off combat weapons.

The World of Yasukunito

I hope this has helped but if not then don't hesitate to ask more questions. We all learn when you do.

Regards,
    Stu

Ok , and the blade is machined made rather than hand made. Did this sword smith make any traditional hand made blades.
    Not likely. to the best of my knowledge, there has never been a Japanese made listing of these factory workers as they were not traditional swordsmiths.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Great sword.

?

Many thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2