Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My flea market find.

Article about: Found this flag at a flea market this past weekend. Seller wanted \\$50 for it, so I told him all I had on me was \\$20 and he sold it to me. Was wondering if anybody can read the Japanese writi

Default My flea market find.

Found this flag at a flea market this past weekend. Seller wanted $50 for it, so I told him all I had on me was $20 and he sold it to me. Was wondering if anybody can read the Japanese writing on the flag. There is English written on the flag and it reads;

To Mr. R.S. Vear
    From Yours Sincerely
    N. Iozarl
    13 Nov
    At Japan's Hokkaido

This is likely a occupied piece correct? My other question is if it has any value, just a ballpark please

Thanks,

AP
    Attached Images Attached Images My flea market find.  My flea market find.  My flea market find.  My flea market find.  My flea market find. 

米国陸軍七十七
    Beikoku Rikugun nana-juu-nana
    United States Army 77

[NOTE: I'm not certain about the 77 designation. The written script looks like 七ナ七. Wondering if it could be ヒナヒ] ... (which does not make sense to me).]

贈:アル エス ヴァ―
    Sō: Aru Esu Buaa
    Gift: R. S. Vear

達布
    Tappu

[NOTE: the gifter wrote in English "Tappu", but the way he writes it, it looks like "Jappu".]

兎沢直彌
    Tozawa Naoya
    surname/given-name

Tappu [an Ainu word] is in Rumoi Prefecture, Hokkaido

I've been to Sapporo many times, but never to Rumoi ... it's a bit ....... remote.

I found some 1954 clips of the Japanese Self-Defense Forces teaching skiing to US Soldiers here.

--Guy

Default Slight Correction

Quote by IllinoisCornFarmer90 View Post
    To Mr. R.S. Vear
    From Yours Sincerely
    N. Iozarl
    13 Nov
    At Japan's Hokkaido
    To Mr. R.S. Vear
    From Yours Sincerely
    N. Tozawa
    13 Nov
    At Tappu
    Hokkaido

?

Although not a certainty, the 77 could be for the 77th Division, which had occupation duty on Japan from late 1945 to Spring, 1946. Might be possible to link name to a roster sheet if it is a division designation.

Tom

Good call, Tom. The 77th ID was headquartered in the capital city of Sapporo (my favorite city), Hokkaido and was demobilized 15 March 1946. Sapporo is 18 miles from Tappu.

This link is to a pdf download about the 77th Infantry Division -- go to pdf page 425 (booklet page 409) for Chapter 29, "The Occupation of Hokkaido."

Neither Vear nor the city of Tappu are mentioned.

--Guy