Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My New,(old) Japanese Sword

Article about: Ralph Couldn't agree more. While we love our TR collections and all of their history, it cannot compare to the Hundreds of years a Katana(?) has seen. Definately one for the bucket list! I u

Default Re: My New,(old) Japanese Sword

Ralph

Couldn't agree more. While we love our TR collections and all of their history, it cannot compare to the Hundreds of years a Katana(?) has seen. Definately one for the bucket list!

I understand your photography snafu, this is why I don't have pictures of rifles, and other larger items. Working on getting a proper background for experimentation of these large item photos.
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

This is very impressive Ralph,, I like the raised depiction on the crossguard of an old man fishing and what looks like his catch at his feet. quite superb. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    This is very impressive Ralph,, I like the raised depiction on the crossguard of an old man fishing and what looks like his catch at his feet. quite superb. Regards Larry
    Thanks Larry!
    That is all done with gold and silver. His head and beard are silver, His rod, top knot and his catch are done in gold. There is also gold on some of the other fittings.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I am not just trying to bring this one to the top but rather to show what I have been working on for some time now.
    The finish on the scabbard that came with this sword is quite fragile and I am trying to handle it as little as possible. I decided to make a new scabbard to store the sword in and so that if I decide to show the sword to someone, I do not have to handle the old scabbard.
    This is the product of a quite a few months of work.
    I made the new fittings from solid sterling to fit the old scabbard as it did not have any fittings. The wood I chose to make it from is 1/4 sawn white oak as it is the driest white wood that is readily available. It has been hand cut, chiseled and sanded to fit the blade and the new fittings that I made. I have also made the pocket for the kozuka. The kurikata is made from water buffalo horn as is common on originals.
    Sorry for the many photos.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My New,(old) Japanese Sword   My New,(old) Japanese Sword  

My New,(old) Japanese Sword   My New,(old) Japanese Sword  

My New,(old) Japanese Sword  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Excellent craftsmanship

Once the scabbard had been shaped and sanded, I finished it with sanding sealer to smooth out the surface. Then, many coats of black laquer wet sanded in between each coat to remove any imperfections. After that, many coats of clear laquer with a bit of metalic to give it some "glitter". Again, wet sanded in between each coat to remove any imperfections. The silver fittings have been treated to try to match the fittings on the handle.
    My apologies as I had some issues with the lighting and background as far as brightness of the photos. I will try to take some outside in natural light later.
    I hope you like it,
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My New,(old) Japanese Sword   My New,(old) Japanese Sword  

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Excellent craftsmanship
    Thank you James!
    Not an easy job if it is the first time you try to make one.
    Ralph.

?

Congrats.
    New scabbard looks great. Well done.
    What is the flaking dull finish on the old scabbard - lacquer?

Quote by Scout View Post
    Congrats.
    New scabbard looks great. Well done.
    What is the flaking dull finish on the old scabbard - lacquer?
    Thank you!
    It appears to me to be some form of clay applied, then textured, then painted with a red laquer with black laquer on top. You can just see a hint of red where the black is worn. The clay is quite dry and cracked and flakes off quite readily. That is why I decided to make a new one. The sword will be displayed in the new scabbard along with the original in one display case. I will post photos of the new display case when it is complete.
    Ralph.

?

..........and what a fine job you did.

A great feeling looking at the new well made scabbard and knowing you did it yourself.

Thanks for comprehensive answer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast