Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My New,(old) Japanese Sword

Article about: Ralph Couldn't agree more. While we love our TR collections and all of their history, it cannot compare to the Hundreds of years a Katana(?) has seen. Definately one for the bucket list! I u

Quote by Scout View Post
    ..........and what a fine job you did.

A great feeling looking at the new well made scabbard and knowing you did it yourself.

Thanks for comprehensive answer.
    Thank you,
    I spent many hours trying to figure out how to achieve the same texture and finish as the original but, finally decided that there was nothing that I personally could do to recreate it. So, I opted for a little more traditional type of finish.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

You are fortunate that you did not try to use Japanese lacquer known as urushi. It is highly allergic and can cause serious skin problems similar to poison ivy. Fifteen years or so ago, a dealer was selling some at a sword show in Dallas, Texas. Some moron bought some and rubbed it on the speaker end of the public telephones outside the hall and also on the flush handle of the urinals in the men's room. Needless to say, it caused some serious problems.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Ralph , that is amazing workmanship and attention to detail and the new scabbard looks superb , i am so impressed , well done !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Ralph , that is amazing workmanship and attention to detail and the new scabbard looks superb , i am so impressed , well done !
    Thank you very much Alan!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by Alan M View Post
    +1 !!!!

Another outstanding example of your abilities Ralph.

Now all you need is a sageo.

Regards,
    Stu
    PS: I have a spare that came off a Shinto period Wak and it will be in the mail to you Monday.

Quote by Stu W View Post
    +1 !!!!

Another outstanding example of your abilities Ralph.

Now all you need is a sageo.

Regards,
    Stu
    PS: I have a spare that came off a Shinto period Wak and it will be in the mail to you Monday.
    Thank you Stu!
    Your generosity never ceases to amaze me.
    Ralph.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    You are fortunate that you did not try to use Japanese lacquer known as urushi. It is highly allergic and can cause serious skin problems similar to poison ivy. Fifteen years or so ago, a dealer was selling some at a sword show in Dallas, Texas. Some moron bought some and rubbed it on the speaker end of the public telephones outside the hall and also on the flush handle of the urinals in the men's room. Needless to say, it caused some serious problems.
    One of my swordsmanship instructors in Japan also was an accomplished polisher and tinkerer (he made tsuba and would buy broken pocket watches just to fix them). He also used urushi and told me that when he first began, the craftsman who tutored him first would apply raw urushi sap to the back of his hand to see what sort of reaction he would have. I don't know if people actually become immune to its effects or not. Luckily, after it dries it apparently [?] does not cause a skin reaction.

URUSHI LIQUID Urushi is obtained as sap from the urushi tree 'RhusVerniciflua' which originally comes from the Himalayas. The urushi tree is to be found mostly in Southeast Asia, particularly in countries such as Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Burma, Cambodia, Bhutan and it prefers a warm climate. Mango, cashew nut and pistachio are also family of the urushi tree...

Both Chinese and Japanese raw urushi are made of the main substance urushiol that polymerizes with the help of the catalyst laccase. It consists of a complex intermix of soft and hard structures which makes the urushi layer strong and lasting. The more urushiol the urushi contains the stronger the layer. The liquid contains in (Ⅱ) more than in (Ⅰ), and in (Ⅲ) more than in (Ⅱ) urushiol. The appearance of the darker colour demonstrates the quicker bonding with oxygen.

Source
    The sap contains the allergenic compound urushiol, which gets its name from this species' Japanese name urushi (?). Urushiol is the oil found in poison ivy that causes a rash. [Wiki source].

I'm just itching to learn!!

--Guy

Excellent work on the replacement scabbard. Very wise to preserve the original scabbard too, some may not have been as thoughtful as you.

Quote by Dual Headed Eagle View Post
    Excellent work on the replacement scabbard. Very wise to preserve the original scabbard too, some may not have been as thoughtful as you.
    Thank you!
    As a person that creates, I try not to ruin anything.
    Ralph.

Great job Ralph. The new scabbard looks fantastic.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast