Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Nagoya Type 95 gunto with TOP Latch????

Article about: Somebody please tell me what I'm looking at!!! It's an ebay offering from Texas seller, which looks great in almost every way BUT - the variant 2 tsuba is too thick; the serial number type-s

Default Nagoya Type 95 gunto with TOP Latch????

Somebody please tell me what I'm looking at!!! It's an ebay offering from Texas seller, which looks great in almost every way BUT - the variant 2 tsuba is too thick; the serial number type-set is weird; the numbering is read with cutting edge up and has a faint Nagoya inspection stamp, but the saya latch is on top rather than on the side. Plus, I've never seen a Nagoya gunto in the 100,000# range. Either this is a legit Nagoya gunto of a style I've never seen (which is possible), or it's one of the best fake jobs I've seen to date

Original WW2 Japanese NCO Sword Mint Matching Nice | eBay

Here's another one: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/-kcAAOSwxehXPMRF/$_3.JPG

?

They are both genuine.
    Two subcontractors manufactured Type 95's under Nagoya Arsenal Administration Gifu and Seki Token Co,Ltd.
    Serial numbers for Nagoya start from about 12k-160k and then the 200k range.
    Gifu was the first manufacturer for Nagoya, eventually being replaced with Seki.
    As far as font's go, there are many variations between all the contractors. The faint inspection mark on the blade is a feature of many Nagoya blades, as it appears that they stamped them after the hardening of the steel, whereas the Tokyo blades were stamped before.
    If you're considering to bid on one of these, you can feel confident that they are not reproductions.

Quote by stegel View Post
    They are both genuine.
    Two subcontractors manufactured Type 95's under Nagoya Arsenal Administration Gifu and Seki Token Co,Ltd.
    Serial numbers for Nagoya start from about 12k-160k and then the 200k range.
    Gifu was the first manufacturer for Nagoya, eventually being replaced with Seki.
    As far as font's go, there are many variations between all the contractors. The faint inspection mark on the blade is a feature of many Nagoya blades, as it appears that they stamped them after the hardening of the steel, whereas the Tokyo blades were stamped before.
    If you're considering to bid on one of these, you can feel confident that they are not reproductions.
    Thank you, my friend! I was starting to get worried that the world as I knew it was coming unglued!

So, Is it correct to say that if you see a side-clip gunto, it was made in Nagoya, but not all Nagoya gunto had side-clips? Because I thought I read that all side-clip gunto were made by Nagoya. I think I mistook that fact to mean that Nagoya only made gunto in the side-clip style.