Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Naval katana

Article about: Hello Im thinking about purchasing a Japanese Naval officers sword the seller claims its an old family blade fron the 1500's. What should I look for on the blade the blad is unsigned? Any in

I've gotten half of mine from fleabay, but like MAP said, it's easy to get ripped off if you don't know what to look for. I've still got one that I bought early in my collecting that is probably a fake.

It also depends upon your goals for collecting. I just wanted a fair representation of all the official Types made during the war. I have no intentions of buying-to-sell, or trading, I have no need for high-end expensive blades, and I don't follow the rated smiths. So, flaws and quality don't matter to me, other than I do enjoy getting one that is as near pristine as possible.

Im sadly limited living in western PA I do attend gun and military shows but other than the guns. Theres been mostly blades and helmets for sale which are blatantly reproductions. Although I have scored some nice bayonets from time to time.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Jjs92186 View Post
    Im sadly limited living in western PA I do attend gun and military shows but other than the guns. Theres been mostly blades and helmets for sale which are blatantly reproductions. Although I have scored some nice bayonets from time to time.
    Yes...I understand. The small shows near me are full of junk but I do have some local dealers who uncover some gems every now and then

There are dealers who will have WW2 era blades for sale (Griffin Militaria has a decent Japanese section and I think they have some every now and then)

But if you do use eBay, as Bruce and I and most others will attest to, you need to be very careful. Always post before you buy.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Well after some back and forth I purchased the blade for what I felt was a fair price. I will post up some better pictures when it arrives.

I have recieved my kai gunto today the blade is in a little better shape than pictures showed. The thing that puzzles me is there is no through in the handle for a sarute? The shark skin is covering the handle. Was this possibly a late war sword cobbled together?

Possibly a modern re-wrap? The cloth ito doesn't look like it's seen any wear.

Quote by Jjs92186 View Post
    Was this possibly a late war sword cobbled together?
    No doubt, but it was cobbled together from the parts after the war.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4