Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

An NCO samurai sword

Article about: This is an NCO Samurai I picked up. I'm not the biggest on these but I must admit these are a fierce looking weapon.

Default An NCO samurai sword

This is an NCO Samurai I picked up. I'm not the biggest on these but I must admit these are a fierce looking weapon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An NCO samurai sword   An NCO samurai sword  

An NCO samurai sword   An NCO samurai sword  

An NCO samurai sword  

?

IMHO a Katana.. Samurai swords..At least "Authentic" were produced in the 1500-1600's or older and not "Numbered".. There is no evidence of "Tempuring" or folding.. Just my two cents..The tang will shed more light as to the maker if any... Wait for Moderator Coleman or others to respond...
    P.S. The scabbard looks "Chinese" green.. JMO...G

Gwar thanks for your input. I have no doubt to the authenticity of the sword but your opinion is appreciated. The soldier that brought it home brought home several swords and I am trying to purchase another from him now that is similar.

I have moved this to the Japanese Militaria Forum which is a more logical site for this piece. Please do not attempt to remove the handle as there is nothing to gain except damage. The NCO swords are one piece factory made blades of the period manufactured. These are highly faked in China and our membership can comment of the authenticity of this piece.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Bob I agree these are machine made blades on the NCO swords and there is nothing to be gained by removing the Tsuka except permanent damage.

I'm not expert on these but here's some shots of my pair I could quickly dig up for you to compare with.

Nice swords, here is one though made by what I believe to be the same maker from an information site that I found before I purchased it. One thing I have found over the years is that while I purchased a lot of pistols I have seen thousands of swords over the years and just never found one I wanted. I have seen over 50 different styles of swords and I'm sure some fakes. But these are not like uniforms or other items, there was no military spec to speak of. I have been to China three times now and plan a trip back next yerar. Trust me there is a huge difference in the ones made in China.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An NCO samurai sword   An NCO samurai sword  

An NCO samurai sword  
    Last edited by Logictox; 10-22-2014 at 12:25 PM.

?

At first glance you have what appears to be an authentic IJA Type 95 sword as issued to NCO rank soldiers.

The version is a 2A, or perhaps a 2, as per Dawson, of the aluminum tsuka, iron tsuba, top latch model. It was issued from the Tokyo First Arsenal. The maker, to the best of my knowledge, is not revealed through the photos.

I would appreciate viewing a photo of the scabbard drag and the last six inches of the blade. Can you accommodate that request?

There is an iron collar (fuchi) between the handle (tsuka) and the hand guard (tsuba) that may have some faint stampings on it. If so, and you are able to photograph or describe them, the individual maker (company) of the sword might be revealed.

You may perhaps be interested in reading the pinned thread on Type 95 swords located above. There are several photos including one depicting the differences between the above mentioned 2 and 2A versions.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Further to your comment that Chinese fakes can be easily identified. I wish that was the case, and many times it is, but there are some very good reproductions out there now so for those not really familiar with these swords (or any sword) it's best to do your homework before entering into a purchase agreement. These are not rare so don't let a seller rush you into parting with your hard earned money.

Regards to all,
    Stu

Stu W

Thank you for your knowledge and thoughts. I will try to get the photos you requested. I looked at the fuchi very close and couldn't detect the maker but I can take you photos of both sides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast