Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

NCO type 95 fake?

Article about: I have a problem with this sword. I'm not sure - is it fake or isn't. What's wrong? Tsuba and tsuka - too small in my opinion. On photos 100% original NCO 95 sword and sword which I want to

?

I have now spent some time reviewing the additional photos. Nothing I've seen in the new batch leads me to a change of opinion. I know it looks close but there is just something about it that makes me feel it is a reproduction. I've even considered that someone might have taken a wire brush or powered wire wheel to it and simply blurred the features but that still doesn't allow me to reconcile some of the concerns I have.

Is this sword one you have in hand for examination prior to purchase?

Regards,
    Stu

?

Perhaps send a PM to Ern (WRF name stegel) and ask him to view it too. His viewpoint is one I value and would be worth soliciting in this case.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Thanks Stu. I've bought the sword but now I'm not sure if want to have it. I'm going to send a PM to stegel. In my country is very difficult to buy a NCO 95 sword and they are very expensive... Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
    dudek

?

Hi Dudek and Stu,

Firstly thanks for the kind words Stu, i'd be glad to give my views if it helps any.

Dudek, after having got your PM and looked at the pictures, i agree with Stu's gut feeling... that it is a Reproduction.

Before i mention any specifics, i would like to add that there are essentially two types of type 95 'fake' swords. In short good and bad, the bad ones are predominantly from China and easy to spot (although they are improving).
    The better quality 'fakes' come from India and have been around for quite a few years, these need a closer inspection and scrutiny.

They have been around since the early 1970's, and i believe that this is one such sword. However there a still better ones than this around, and the more familiar you are with the real Japanese NCO sword the less likely you are to be decieved by any of these replica's.

This allows it to have been in a collection for 40 yrs.... and yes it still IS a replica in my opinion.

There are small variations in the length of handles on real type 95's, but generally this is due to different moulds being used and as i said the length varies only slightly.

Sharper photos would be desirable, but from what is here, i believe that the casting of the handle is not as crisp, especially in the menuki- the three cherry blossoms on each side of the handle. In my opinion, it was never painted, and buffed to a shine- mainly to remove poor casting burr's and dags (which are still present in the ITO wrap area, this is a common feature of these replicas. Real handles have crisp lines and will almost always have traces of paint in the more tiny grooves and crevases
    of the handle. Perhaps you can confirm this. The other things i noticed, are the wooden liners inside the handle, a bit fresh looking, and also the retention spring, poorly shaped as is the tsuba.

If i get a chance, i will post some pics of 'fake' Arsenal stampings, again the good and bad.
    Perhaps you could post a photo of the 'whole' sword -blade, scabbard, and close ups of the drag/serial numbers/arsenal stamps, just to confirm.

You should be aware that Late war Wooden handle swords are now also being replicated, and they are reasonably good aswell.

Ern

BTW- The genuine sword you have shown, has an interesting scabbard, are the numbers matching? and is the throat original to the rest of the scabbard. I would like to see some pics of this sword if you have them. Cheers

I would like to throw my 2 cents here... As fro the story that the sword was preowned by a collector for many years thus it can't be reproduction...
    One rule i've learned in this forum disscussing with these gentlemen is 'buy the item and not the story behind it'...
    In other words you have no proof at all for the statement that a collector had it in his 'war room' for many years and it isn't a reproduction... This story is so easily heard in the circles of collectors that as years go by it loses it's weight as a statement!

Yours,
    Michael

?

Thanks guys for your help. I think that the previous owner of the sword could had it for many years because is possible that it was produced in the 70's. But of course he didn't know that's a replica. So I think that the seller is not lying to me.
    You are great!

Dudek

?

Hi Stegel,

I made some photos of my second sword. This is a "married" sword and the numbers do not match.
    But I think that's a very nice NCO sword...
    NCO type 95 fake?
    NCO type 95 fake?
    NCO type 95 fake?
    NCO type 95 fake?
    NCO type 95 fake?
    NCO type 95 fake?
    NCO type 95 fake?
    NCO type 95 fake?
    NCO type 95 fake?
    NCO type 95 fake?
    If you want to see some more details let me know. I'll made more photos for you.

Regards
    Dudek

?

Thanks for the pics Dudek,
    i see that you know this one is a marriage of parts and not original.
    What caught my eye was the throat on the scabbard, you have a Tokyo produced sword with what i believe is a Nagoya scabbard, but the throat is in my opinion a replica.
    Cheers
    Ern

?

Fake scabbard too. There is no sign of wear from the lock clip and the opening is way off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2