Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with a Japanese Sword !!

Article about: Hi all !! A friend of mine has a Japanese sword he bought about 20 years ago and would like to know something about it . It is 30 1/2" long and seems to be smaller than normal . Please

?

Default Need help with a Japanese Sword !!

Hi all !!
    A friend of mine has a Japanese sword he bought about 20 years ago and would like to know something about it . It is 30 1/2" long and seems to be smaller than normal . Please see the pictures . His son and I took to a show and a lot of people were interested in it but no one wanted knew what it was or didn't want to say . Any help would be Great . He told me he took off the handle and there were no markings . Thanks again .
    DaveNeed help with a Japanese Sword !!Need help with a Japanese Sword !!Need help with a Japanese Sword !!Need help with a Japanese Sword !!Need help with a Japanese Sword !!

?

Default Re: Need help with a Japanese Sword !!

More pictures including a what he believes is a cerimonial belt that is 7' 6" long and 6" wide and a pic of sleeve type item .Need help with a Japanese Sword !!Need help with a Japanese Sword !!

?

i could be way off, but the sword gives me the impression that it is a decorator item, and not a true sword. the blade has a plated look to it, and other things just dont seem quite right. Bob will know for sure. i'm only going on my impression from what i can see.
    andrew

The sword is indeed a replica likely made in Spain in the 1980's. It is a formal mounting known as itomaki no tachi. It has no value except as a decorator. The "belt" is an obi, worn by Japanese women with the kimono.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thank You both I will pass this on to my friend !!
    Dave

Looks like someone stuck the tip of the blade into something,, to give it that authentic look.