Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Need Help with my grandfather's Shin Gunto sword

Article about: (Sorry for the Re-post) Hi Guys, this is my first post of what I hope to be many more. I am an English teacher in Korea and I since living abroad I've become very interested in all things WW

Default Re: Need Help with my grandfather's Shin Gunto sword

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The anchor stamp is a naval acceptance stamp found on stainless steel blades. It is possible it may have initially failed acceptance for some flaw and was later issued due to war time shortages. That is just a guess on my part.

Interesting. From many of the examples that I have seen, my sword has held up rather well compared to others. Hmmmm

?

Andrew, it may have failed, if that's even the reason for lack of anchor stamp, for any number of reasons. Not all of which would reflect negatively on the quality. It may have ended up outside the contract parameters so put aside till such time as the standards were relaxed. It may have been a bit over or under weight. Shorter or longer than planned. Maybe one of the plant workers was sent off to be a Naval officer and was given the sword on the way out the door. Maybe it was made on a Monday. It's really all just guesswork so don't take it badly.

Regards,
    Stu

Default Re: IJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info

I can't help with determining its value, but:

The tag reads:

牧内大佐

Makiuchi [alternately: Maki-no-Uchi] Taisa
    Colonel Makinouchi

I was bothered with the last kanji because it is not exactly 佐 [sa/counter for field grade officer] ... the last three strokes should be but are represented (I think) as the two-stroke
    [Does that make sense to you?]

--Guy

?

Thanks Stu For this thread . excellent info! Also a thanks to ghp95134 for bring it to the top to read!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    I can't help with determining its value, but:

The tag reads:

牧内大佐

Colonel Makinouchi

I was bothered with the last kanji because it is not exactly 佐 [sa/counter for field grade officer] ... the last three strokes should be but are represented (I think) as the two-stroke

--Guy
    This was a Colonel's sword???

Reposting from the wrong thread to the correct thread
    =========

The tag on your sword reads:

牧内大佐

Colonel Makinouchi

I was bothered with the last kanji because it is not exactly [sa/counter for field grade officer] ... the last three strokes should be but are represented (I think) as the two-stroke

=====
    Nota Bene: Though I identify the name tag to a colonel, 大佐 is the equivalent rank of O6 in the US military: Army, Marine, Air Force full Colonel; Navy Captain.
    --Guy

Just for grins I Google Searched 牧内大佐 and found this: 牧内忠雄海軍大佐(長野) [Navy Captain Makiuchi Tadao]. Now, I doubt this is your Capt. Makiuchi ... just a coincidence.

Quote by Google Translate
    Investigation, including the contents: / incident commander responsibility - Netherlands jurisdiction, Balikpapan trial # 2: Name the death penalty 761.

War crimes trial: Dutch jurisdiction, Balikpapan trial

Investigation, including the contents: / incident commander responsibility - # 2: Name the death penalty 761.

War crimes trial

Makiuchi Tadao Navy Colonel (Nagano) 1948/5/21 death sentence 9/25 shot to death
    Captain? - I suspect his predecessor.

Tada's first two Navy Colonel (Yamaguchi) 1948/12/24 firing
    Captain?

Makiuchi Colonel-testament

Are not fulfilled to be the corpse of Te at the Greater East Asia War, sultry grass the first race season Borneo, in Tarakan, Te at its in war period Saipan battle, is not fulfilled themselves to be the dead that take water, live The Haimei to Te at the imperial rescript to Korea the end of the war finally have to Hisashi et al. Cancer colander fall without a fight gross profit of justice, full to foreign enemy finally Empire, who put in the Imperial Army officer himself, and what does worshiped apologized to tycoon revamped Isshi in how. It is not obtained by the Thistle in located in the jaws of death three times, two years nine months to 茲, Lal, ah, this destiny Takaya, because the Shi Toze the jaws of death once - Sense the death from the 21st former enemy government May 23 Showa, Death Te at the Borneo battlefield, it becomes long-cherished ambition, in order to sieve non-distant future also emerging Empire, the fall of southward prosperity, does not become the cornerstone. Japanese spirit will help the development of brotherhood along with the many comrades forever.
    Just interesting --
    --Guy

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6