Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help translating sword

Article about: Hi all and thank you for all the info. Bob would it help if I posted some more pics of the sword? Also as you can see the saya looks to long for the sword blade (30 inches). It measures 24 1

?

Default Need help translating sword

Need help translating swordNeed help translating swordNeed help translating swordNeed help translating swordNeed help translating swordNeed help translating swordNeed help translating swordNeed help translating sword

The experts should be by soon. Is there anything on the other side or any other marking in the tang? Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

The experts should be by soon. Is there anything on the other side or any other marking in the tang? Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hi Matt-san,

I can only tell you the two characters.

久光 - Hisamitsu

Regards,
    Taka

There were a few smiths who signed with a two character signature of Hisamichi. These were all very early smiths working 800-900 years ago of which this sword is not of that age. The temper line and steel used are not of the early period. All of the later smiths that used the name Hisamichi used nagamei or a signature of more than two characters. It would requier a hands on examination by an expert appraiser to determine whether this is the work of a later smith or a gimei(fake signature)purporting the blade to be that of one of the early men.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    There were a few smiths who signed with a two character signature of Hisamichi. These were all very early smiths working 800-900 years ago of which this sword is not of that age. The temper line and steel used are not of the early period. All of the later smiths that used the name Hisamichi used nagamei or a signature of more than two characters. It would requier a hands on examination by an expert appraiser to determine whether this is the work of a later smith or a gimei(fake signature)purporting the blade to be that of one of the early men.
    Hi Bob,

I haven't asked a stupid question for some time now so I guess I'm due. Is the smith name you refer to, "Hisamichi", the same as that mentioned by Taka-san, "Hisamitsu"? Is it a different reading or pronunciation of the second kanji?

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Hi Bob,

I haven't asked a stupid question for some time now so I guess I'm due. Is the smith name you refer to, "Hisamichi", the same as that mentioned by Taka-san, "Hisamitsu"? Is it a different reading or pronunciation of the second kanji?

Regards,
    Stu
    I'm not a sword person, but after reading Stu-san' s comment, I checked again. It's ひさみつ (Hisamitsu).

Also, swords that were made by Hisamitsu are scarce, only small numbers made.

Regards,
    Taka

Quote by Stu W View Post

Regards,
    Stu
    Stu, not a stupid question at all. Bob got mixed up .... and I hate it when that happens to me, so I know how he feels!
    The alternate pronunciation using the "Chinese Sound" -- and totally artificially sounding -- would be "Kukou".

--Guy

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Hi Bob,

Regards,
    Stu
    Hi Stu-
    Guy is correct. Something in my old gray matter did not function last night. I guess I was tired. No alchohol involved either! Mitsu is one of the most common characters found in sword mei. Apologies to all for the screw up. At least I looked up Hisamitsu. Seems I went in to brain fog and wrote the wrong kanji translation. The most likely candidate on this mei is a Hisamitsu from the Bingo Mihara Group when judging a blade from pictures, it is always important to post a picture of the entire nakago or blade tang. It is not only the signature that is important. Nakago shape speaks volumes about the source of the blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Good morning gentlemen. Thank you for the clarification.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast