Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

NETSUKE what do you think?

Article about: Hello All, I have had this netsuke in my collection for awhile and thought i'd share it with you, and ask a question. What significance if any, does this character have in Japanese culture?

Default NETSUKE what do you think?

Hello All,

I have had this netsuke in my collection for awhile and thought i'd share it with you, and ask a question.
    What significance if any, does this character have in Japanese culture? It appears to holding a birds nest.
    As always, I am looking forward to any and all opinions.

Take Care, Mart

NETSUKE what do you think?NETSUKE what do you think?NETSUKE what do you think?NETSUKE what do you think?NETSUKE what do you think?

Matt, that does not look like Japanese (or HK/Chinese) work to me. And I do not think it is a netsuke because it does not have string holes.

--Guy

Hello Guy,

Thanks for your help! Well, now i know what it is'nt.

Thanks and take care,

Mart

?

My initial thought is that it is carved from bone.
    I can't quite identify the robe the figure has.
    Obviously it is a death figure but I can't seem to identify origin or time it is supposed to represent.
    It is an interesting puzzle.

MAP
    ?

Looks like a bobble head. Maybe one of those things that go on a car dashboard?

Sorry. Couple of glasses of rum makes me a fool.......

Whatever it is, it is pretty cool!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I Think it's a nun that was a teacher I had when I was a kid...although, maybe not...this one is Smiling..
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hi Mart,

Can you please tell me the height of the item and have you a photograph of the base you can post? Thanks.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Seems like something out of Dia de Los Muertos. Maybe Mexican in origin?

Tom

Hello,

Thanks all, for your interest and input on this thing! Here are more photos i hope they help.
    Let me know what you think..... Take care Mart

NETSUKE what do you think?NETSUKE what do you think?NETSUKE what do you think?NETSUKE what do you think?