Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to collecting Japanese medals , any advice on what to stay away from ???

Article about: Hello Im starting to get into Japanese War time medals and was wanting to know if there is anything to steer clean of as there is with the German stuff. Recently picked up these 2 off the in

Default New to collecting Japanese medals , any advice on what to stay away from ???

Hello
    Im starting to get into Japanese War time medals
    and was wanting to know if there is anything to steer clean of as there is with the German stuff.
    Recently picked up these 2 off the internet.
    New to collecting Japanese medals , any advice on what to stay away from ???New to collecting Japanese medals , any advice on what to stay away from ???New to collecting Japanese medals , any advice on what to stay away from ???New to collecting Japanese medals , any advice on what to stay away from ???

Default Re: New to collecting Japanese medals , any advice on what to stay away from ???

they look good the first is a red cross medal in sterling silver not rare but one of my favorite jap medals !

Default Re: New to collecting Japanese medals , any advice on what to stay away from ???

Thanks relichunter, the 2nd is a Pre WWII Japanese Fire Department Merit Badge still its box.
    The Fire Brigade of Japan has an almost endless variety of badges. Each local branch
    commissions its own version.

It is hard to know the date of production, but generally speaking the heavier badges are pre-WW2 as metal saving practices kicked in.
    Although not actual WW2 these were still issued during the war to firemen that fought many of the fires around Japan after American bombings.

thanks for the info kiwi !! great info where do you usually buy your badges off of ?? ebay ?? i you ever have trouble finding them on ebay over in europe shoot me a pm and i could get you some as their are always a lot of jap badges on us ebay

?

Hello,

I've found the two pictured reference works to be most helpful. Perhaps you would too.

Regards,
    Stu
    New to collecting Japanese medals , any advice on what to stay away from ???New to collecting Japanese medals , any advice on what to stay away from ???

My guess is that the Fireman's merit/commendation
    badge is from the 1970's or 80's.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-31-2013 at 02:31 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

A good online resource: Imperial Japan Medals and Badges.

He has a similar badge on his Fire Brigade Badge, Page 2.

I cannot make out the first kanji, but the second one is ~Shou which means award/decoration. Military and Civil Orders are called 勲章 kunshou.

--Guy

And, yes, to answer your question....there is,indeed, plenty to be wary of when it comes to Japanese medals. Some of them are horrendously rare(not to mention Valuable!), and as with Anything rare, there will always be plenty of fakes abounding to dupe the collector with. Study, ask questions, post, and study some More! Is always a safe way to go!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    I cannot make out the first kanji, but the second one is ~Shou which means award/decoration. Military and Civil Orders are called 勲章 kunshou.
    Found it!!!! Both kanji read Hyoushou:

表章 【ひょうしょう】 (n,vs) (1) symbol; emblem; image; (2) expressing; representation; making clear (e.g. someone's virtues)

--Guy

?

表章 【ひょうしょう】 (n,vs) (1) symbol; emblem; image; (2) expressing; representation; making clear (e.g. someone's virtues)
    Not exactly.

表彰 : "public recognition; commendation; awarding​"

Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast