Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

New Japanese Gunto

Article about: Hi folks its been a while! I just picked up this nice shin-gunto or what i think is a shin gunto for next to nothing..... and just have some questions as to year of manufacture and maker ect

I'm sorry Bob I'm not up on the lingo. What's wrong with the images? And what is a gendaito?

Quote by tylerstg View Post
    I'm sorry Bob I'm not up on the lingo. What's wrong with the images? And what is a gendaito?
    Gendaito indicates a modern hand forged and water tempered blade made in a traditional manner. I can see the temper line but can not determine whether it is water tempered or oil tempered. I also can not see the forging pattern of the steel grain of any even exists. These things are almost impossible for an amateur to capture in a photo. The best thing is to find an educated collector who can examine the blade in hand.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

As you are new to the terms I'll add that a water tempered, hand forged, traditionally made gendaito is a good thing!

Regards,
    Stu

?

Have a read here ...

JAPANESE SHOWA ERA SWORDS

Regards,
    Stu

Any idea as to a general value? I'm assuming it's in the $500 area maybe slightly less.

Quote by tylerstg View Post
    Any idea as to a general value? I'm assuming it's in the $500 area maybe slightly less.
    You first need to determine what you have. It is like saying I have a car to sell. Is it a Mercedes or a Yugo?
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Oh! Definetly a Yugo! And the transmission sticks in 2nd ahahaha..... I'm sorry I couldnt resist....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2