Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

new japanese navy sword

Article about: HI,THANKS FOR THE REPLY AS IAM NOT SURE IF THE TANG HAS BEEN CLEANED AS YOU WOULD THINK IF IT WAS THE BLACK PAINT WOULD HAVE COME OFF ?NOT SURE BUT I THINK MAYBE NAVY BLADES WERE MADE DIFFER

?

Default new japanese navy sword

hi, is it typical for the handle to be loose? As it seems like another gold/spacer could fit in the gap? If anyone has an extra peice for the handle and the scabbard needs the screw in part with ring, please drop me a PM.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new japanese navy sword   new japanese navy sword  

?

Default Re: new japanese navy sword

You can make additional seppas from leather or aluminum, or buy some off ebay. I also needed one due to handle shrinkage.

I got some on order from Fred loman:

Japanese Sword Restoration Parts & Supplies - Fred Lohman Company

Seems to have a good reputation for gunto restoral. FWIW, he cast these from originals.

BTW, I thought navel had two suspension rings? The mounts look nice. Any pics of the blade/nakago?

Regards

?

hi,thank you so much as i need one ,,,and would he have a ring with threds?its a latter war navy under the handle it has a navy sign and black painted swips/signature?? but thanks for you help as i will order one so its not so loose ...

?

1 the blade has several nicks on the edge but as far as rust/pitting there is none at all as the blade is very nice !!the nicks dont know if kid was chopping something or from the war??any thoughts..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new japanese navy sword   new japanese navy sword  

Last edited by pammy; 04-14-2010 at 09:29 PM.

?

here is another ..

?

The fittings seem very nice. Not sure if Fred has the scabbard screw/throat. Let me know.

I cannot tell from the pics if hand-made/gendaito or semi-hand-made, or machine made. Looks like an oil temper, could be wrong. If any mei/kanji/signature on the nakago (tang) post clear pics. Someone like Alan or Bob may come around and translate.

Regards

?

hi,maybe these pictures can help?

?

2 more?

?

last one..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new japanese navy sword  

Oh dear. That's not good. I was sad to see the condition of the blade. That kind of damage can really hurt the value and I am nearly positive that was done in post war. It looks like someone cleaned the tang too. While it is still a WWII era sword, it should not look that clean. Taking the patina off of something like that reaaaalllly hurts the value too. It is a beautiful looking sword that had a lot of potential.

I was going to suggest Fred Lohman for assistance for parts, but since it has already been mentioned I will second that. He has a great selection and if you need something specific he might be able to turn one up. Ebay does have very inexpensive reproduction options for seppa which might not be a bad choice. Just make sure you have the blade dimension and don't get one that is too big or too small.

Mike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast