MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

New purchase washizaki

Article about: Hi just picked up this old Wakizashi came from the estate of a former veteran bought home from the far east.

Lol thanks

Rod
    ?

It was broken or shortened prior to WW2, just how much black rust there is on the tang is an indication of the amount of handling! The more handling presumably the older the blade, but not always as I've learned. Black rust should never be cleaned off, red rust is damage.

Bob Coleman is one of the most knowledgeable sword people in the U.S., you are in good hands. The new pics are much easier to see. It might be possible to tell more with a pic of the entire blade 'au naturelle' from tang to tip. The shape and length of the tip, the curve of the blade, etc all point to specific periods, schools and/or smiths but no promises. Often on shortened blades the tang is shaped to preserve the shape of the original. It's all nuances.

Rod

The best I can do as the top two kanji on one side are unreadable and the mekugi ana goes through a character on each side. It states a smith named Sadayoshi made this as a special order. It is dated Spring of the second year of Tensho (1573) The reverse from what is readable is Shoji Irofuji Masakatsu, likely the individual who ordered the blade. This is not shortened but ubu or intact.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Rod
    ?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The best I can do as the top two kanji on one side are unreadable and the mekugi ana goes through a character on each side. It states a smith named Sadayoshi made this as a special order. It is dated Spring of the second year of Tensho (1573) The reverse from what is readable is Shoji Irofuji Masakatsu, likely the individual who ordered the blade. This is not shortened but ubu or intact.
    Well live and learn. I was sure the blade was shortened as the Hi ran through to the end of the nakago and there's only one mekugi ana.

Bob, two questions.
    Isn't it uncommon for the hi to go right to the end of the nakago?
    Would the furniture be original to the blade?

Thanks in advance.

Rod

I have seen hi cut through the nakago before on an ubu blade. However, i is not common. My initial reaction was also this was possibly a cut down katana but the mei definitely indicates that is not the case(unless the unreadable part says something different.
    The mounting on the blade is definitely not contemporary to the Tensho Period. Mountings wore out and fittings were changed as ownership of the blade changed hands. These fittings are of later production than the blade. It is very rare to find an intact mounting from the 16th century.
    BOB

Rod
    ?

Thanks so much for your answers Bob. I'm intrigued by the hi being cut right though and original to the piece. It seems a kind of sculptural flourish.
    Now that I read your answer on remounting it seems obvious, that's great!

Best, Rod

Bob thank you very much you are a true expert and a gentleman. I am left shocked at how old this blade is now !!! I think its time to get an expert oolish and restore it and to get it insured. Im not after a value as i love it but assume after looking on the net its quite a valuable item? Its not going anywhere anyway as i love it.

Quote by airwarrior View Post
    Bob thank you very much you are a true expert and a gentleman. I am left shocked at how old this blade is now !!! I think its time to get an expert oolish and restore it and to get it insured. Im not after a value as i love it but assume after looking on the net its quite a valuable item? Its not going anywhere anyway as i love it.
    If you need assistance in locating an accredited polisher, I will be happy to assist you. There are MANY egomaniacs who call themselves polishers but have never done a Japanese five year period serving as an apprentice to a master polisher. The wrong guy can wreck your blade. There is nothing in it for me except helping preserve the blade.
    BOB

Thank you Bob i am located in the U.K. any contacts over here??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3