MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

NHTK Papered Mantetsu

Article about: We've all heard the stories, but here's one for real! I'll add the link when I can get my tablet to copy/paste again.

Quote by Sporter90 View Post
    The problem is with the NTHK.
    Is this an NTHK v. NBTHK difference of opinion? I would think any organization can establish its own guidelines/procedures that might not square with a similar organization. Or, is this your opinion as a translator?

I'm just trying to understand your viewpoint.

--Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 02-26-2019 at 03:58 PM. Reason: grammar: a > an

Instead of using Good, Better for rating, the NTHK uses code words, for example "Newspaper" is for Good (審定書 Shinteisho); "Magazine" is Better (鑑定書 Kanteisho). Why is a magazine better than a newspaper? In other words, why is 鑑定書 better than 審定書? This is like asking, "why is Red color better than Yellow color?" The answer is No, one is not better or worse than the other. They are neutral. The colors are just colors.

----
    Homeland Security uses colors for alert levels. That still is not a better or worse rating.

Quote by Sporter90 View Post
    Instead of using Good, Better for rating, the NTHK uses code words, for example "Newspaper" is for Good (審定書 Shinteisho); "Magazine" is Better (鑑定書 Kanteisho). Why is a magazine better than a newspaper? In other words, why is 鑑定書 better than 審定書? This is like asking, "why is Red color better than Yellow color?" The answer is No, one is not better or worse than the other. They are neutral. The colors are just colors.

----
    Homeland Security uses colors for alert levels. That still is not a better or worse rating.
    I'd say that in using your your media examples, I'd go one better and say a peer-reviewed scientific journal (優秀刀鑑定 Yushotou Kantei) is better than a news magazine (鑑定書 Kanteisho), which is better [paper/binding/depth/archival qualities] than a newspaper (審定書 Shinteisho). I've got no problem with that as the differences are readily recognizable and not confusing. As for color-coding, so long as users/members understand the differences, a newly established Japanese art sword preservation society could issue its own evaluations that are based on Homeland Security alert levels:

• 4.1 Severe (Red) 最低作 Saitei-saku (extreme lowest/worst work): gunto & Chinese-made "steel katana" that will be cut-up and relegated to the scrap heap
    • 4.2 High (Orange) 審定書 Shinteisho
    • 4.3 Elevated (Yellow) 鑑定書 Kanteisho
    • 4.4 Guarded (Blue) 優秀刀鑑定 Yushotou Kantei
    • 4.5 Low (Green) 国宝刀 Kokuhou-tou (National Treasure Sword)

After all, it is up to an organization's board of directors to establish its own parameters and operating guidelines. We do not have to agree or like them; just recognize that is what the organization does. Plus, having two similar societies necessitates differences in evaluating/judging so as not to be confused for the competition-organization.

Thanks for this interesting conversation.

--Guy

Update:

The answer to Chris Bowen's inquiries:

I wanted to post an update as I just received a reply to my question to the NTHK-NPO. Here is their reply:

当会としての満鉄刀についての見解は、「満鉄刀の美術
    的な価値については認めていないものの、歴史的な価値(戦争や紛争の記憶遺産)を認めて鑑定書を発行してい ます。」

They are saying that in their opinion, while they recognize that Mantetsu blades do not have any artistic value, they believe that they do have historical value as they are documentation of the war and conflicts from the past, therefore they will issue kantei-sho for them.

Hope this sheds some light on this and helps to answer the op's question..."

In addition to the shinsa response, here's an additional reason we are seeing registered gunto coming our of Japan. It doen't expain them all, but likely accounts for a portion of them. Trystan found this page:

"I found this article talking about the papered semi-forged(Nontraditional made) blade(Gunto),it's in Japanes .

やさしい刀

半鍛錬の軍刀でも親族の遺品等であった場合には特例の処置もあるようですので各都道府県教育委員会に問い合 わせてみましょう。

Roughly transilated :If you have a semi-forged(Nontraditional made)sword it was once belong to family member who died in war, and then it will be treated specially ,please contact local Education Committee.

So that might explain why some showa to got the registered.

Some one says: 昭和26年至33年之間,以陣亡將士代表紀念品「遺骨代」為名目,申請登錄之各式軍刀不在少數。但昭和33 年之後,便修法不再發給這類刀劍登錄許可了。

Between Showa 26-33 year1951-1958 , Many Gunto were registered as memento of the fallen soldiers (Subject "the remains of the bones". After Showa 33 year 1958, Goverment change the law, no longer issued the sword registeration license to these nontraditional made gunto ."

Original post (#294) here: http://www.militaria...-survey/page-10

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3