Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Officer Saddle Question

Article about: I have this saddle i like known the manner for put the saddle bag in this pattern of saddle thanks

This Chinese site seems ideal for your needs 图解近代日本陆军制式骑乘用马具

Quote by Type4 View Post
    i ask for the 2 frontal the other i not have , you known were i can recognize one? Thanks

Attachment 1253919

in a standard army saddle is easy

Attachment 1253920

but in this saddle it is fixed to 2 frontal hook with slings??
    Ah! Pommel bags! Yes, pommel bags were also used.

--Guy

FYI, the saddle medallion says:

東京馬具工業組合
    Tōkyō Bagu Kōgyō Kumiai
    Tokyo Harness Industry Association

昭和拾五年度
    Shōwa Jūgo-nendo
    Showa 15 Product Year

I attach a clearer medallion from another saddle I saw at auction.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Officer Saddle Question  

?

Officer Saddle Question

This saddle is different at the standard one i have that

here the picture of standard troops saddle used from cavalry

Officer Saddle Question
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Officer Saddle Question  

?

Thanks you very much nick

The marking plates shown so far all look civilian and there's nothing military about them. What makes you think yours is a military saddle? Are there any army markings? If it's neither Type 14 nor Type 95, it can only be civilian.

Type 14 saddle accessories
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Officer Saddle Question   Officer Saddle Question  

?

officers buy it in private purchase and came with this

Officer Saddle Question

is a type 95 for training and military parade, used in second line to, not adapt for campaign role ( in the link you post it describe in this manner this saddle)

Officer Saddle Question
    Attached Images Attached Images Officer Saddle Question 

I am afraid the seller matched up a military bridle with a purely civilian wartime saddle to make it look like a military set.

Both Type 14 (M1925) and Type 95 (M1935) saddles were all purpose models used for both parades and combat. The fact that yours would not accommodate the standard military bags indicates it was a civilian or training saddle.

All the drawings I showed were Type 14. The Type 95 documents were with photos and not with line illustrations easy to see, but the Chinese site shows the Type 95 clear enough for you to tell whether yours is a Type 95. Note also that none of the military saddles on the Chinese site have metal commercial tags like yours. I don't think military saddles had such commercial plates even for training saddles.

Training saddles were not defined in army uniform regulations, so I have no information on them, but the way your's is marked pretty much indicates it was a civilian model.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Officer Saddle Question   Officer Saddle Question  

Last edited by Nick Komiya; 11-19-2018 at 12:03 PM.

?

Type 95 saddle is only for officers correct?

Here my type 14 saddle

Officer Saddle Question

Officer Saddle Question

Than from the link in china

Officer Saddle Question

mine

Officer Saddle Question

Officer Saddle Question

Officer Saddle Question

I also had this but out of ignorance, I sold the saddle

Officer Saddle Question

I've looked at Type4's saddle again and what strikes me are the three metal square brackets on the back of the cantle. I have ridden hunt-seat [English style] and I do not recall ever seeing these metal strap-loops on modern civilian saddles. These types of brackets are used on military saddles, or perhaps even for "endurance" saddles when loads have to be carried.

That Chinese site has a saddle similar to Type4's with the metal strap-loops:
    http://d.ifengimg.com/w600/p0.ifengi...w637_h433.jpeg

The only difference I see is that the three brackets shown on the Chinese site are fixed, whereas Type4's will swivel.

Here's a modern endurance saddle; note the two strap-loops on the back of the cantle:
    Endurance Saddle

I know that Nick thinks the saddle is a civilian one because of the plate on the back of the cantle; however, that led me to think :
    • All the data plates on aircraft parts have "civilian" company names; why not saddles?
    • In my personal riding experience (not a vast amount, but I've ridden hunt seat), I've never seen an "English" saddle with metal strap loops fixed on the rear of the cantle.
    • There are a plethora of these saddles surviving. I don't think so many "civilian" saddles would have been around in Japan at that time; after all, it was a period when only the rich could ride -- others worked! Unless you were in the army, that is.

Cheers,
    --Guy

Officer Saddle Question  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast