Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Old Japanese writing

Article about: I found an old paper in the bottom of a trunk from a member of the 158 Bushmasters WW 2 . Can any one out there read Japanese?jonzart@cfl.rr.com

Default Old Japanese writing

I found an old paper in the bottom of a trunk from a member of the 158 Bushmasters WW 2 .

Can any one out there read Japanese?jonzart@cfl.rr.com
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Old Japanese writing  
    Last edited by JonJonz; 12-15-2010 at 06:54 PM.

?

Default Re: Old Japanese writing

Hi,

What you have is a US propaganda leaflet and I believe there is more on the back side. Also, the upper lefthand corner is folded over hiding a character. If you can send a picture of the back side and the folded corner, I will translate all of it. This is what I have so far:

All Japanese Military Unit Commanders
    As military men we express our profound respect to you and your officers' and men's soldiery and valiant fighting under increasingly difficult conditions over the past months. I think your battle situation is futile and further bloodshed will only delay the inevitable tragedy of your demise. You bear the heavy responsibility of leading the men under you. Gentlemen, rather than purposelessly clinging to face-saving rituals, bear in mind the lives of the rank and file of your officers and men who are the Emperor's precious subjects and their parents, wives, children, brothers and sisters and consider doing everything possible by righteously asking for a truce. You are already aware that an all-out battle would lead to a senseless loss of life, but

Looking forward to the requested photos.

Tnx,

TM

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6129/...e1fb2341_m.jpg
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6009/...593f660f_m.jpg

Thanks For the translation . I thought It may be something like that.
    but to have exactly what it says Is great.

I found this and some other things in a sealed trunk I bought from this soldiers daughter. Also of intrest is a blueprint type drawing of a Japanese machin gun, and quite a few personal photos of his tour in he Pacific. I think He was a member of he 158 Bushmasters because there is also a book about them from 1946 in the trunk.

thanks again John

?

John,

For some reason the photos are not as clear as the initial one. If you could send the back side again in another format similar to the initial photo.

If you have other things you would like translated, let me know.

Thanks,

Tom

?

John,

Thanks for the resend, but it is still blurry and will make it difficult to identify some of the characters. Your initial photo posted on this site is extremely clear. If you could send the same way, it might solve the problem.

Sorry to be difficult,

Tom

Hi Tom,

You know I don't remember How I put the first pic in because
    I dont remember having to use a url address. But that seems like its the only way I can do it now. If this one dose not work you can send me your email and I can send it to you direct Maby it wil come out better.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6021/...a72e67b2_m.jpg

John

?

John,

My address is:

tmys@hotmail.com

Let's try this route.

Tom

?

John,

Here is my overall translation, slightly tweaked from what I sent before.

Tom

All Japanese Military Unit Commanders

As a military man I express my profound respect to you and your officers' and men's soldiery and valiant fighting under increasingly difficult conditions over the past months. I think your battle situation is hopeless and further bloodshed will only delay the inevitable tragedy of your demise. You bear the heavy responsibility of leading the men under you. Gentlemen, rather than purposelessly clinging to face-saving custom, bear in mind that the rank and file of your officers and men, as well as their parents, wives, children, brothers and sisters, are the Emperor's precious subjects; consider doing everything possible by nobly asking for a truce. You are already aware that an all-out battle would lead to a senseless loss of life; surrender in no way tarnishes your military honor. Saving as many lives of your officers and men as possible for your country's future can be considered the epitome of patriotism.
    However, there are few Japanese precedents for this. The only examples are most recently Lieutenant General Prince Asaka during the Nomohan Incident and the somewhat earlier incident of Advanced Reconnaissance Unit Commander Tatekawa during the Russo-Japanese campaign. May I be so bold as to point out that they were commended by the Emperor for sensibly avoiding the loss of many precious lives of their men who for various reasons were no longer capable of being effective militarily and you should follow their example to allow the officers and men under your command to contribute to Japan's future. Mr Tatekawa, who has risen from obscurity, was promoted to Lieutenant General for his continuing service to the nation and also more recently by being Japan's Ambassador to Russia. We are prepared to discuss the conditions and terms you are willing to accept; send a truce delegation without delay!

Allied Forces Supreme Commander